Save the correct EXIF rotation tag

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Requested Save the correct EXIF rotation tag

This is IMHO the other vital change needed for EXIF rotation.
    It is clear from the many Support and Bug postings on EXIFs that something is needed.

There are 4 EXIF orientation tags recognized by IV - Top Left (0 deg), Left Bottom (90 deg), Bottom Right (180 deg) and Right Top (270 deg). The Auto-rotate option correctly displays the image upright for each of these. The image can also be rotated manually using either Options>JPEG Lossless Rotations or Image>Rotate.

In all cases it should be possible to either save the correct new (rotated) tag or to keep the original one. This is what one might expect the "Reset EXIF orientation" checkbox in the "JPEG save options" to do.
    In fact at present after a lossless rotation the tag is always saved as Top Left regardless of the real value or of the checkbox setting. After a normal rotation the tag remains unaltered and is saved as such if the box is unchecked but again changed to Top Left in all cases if checked.

This is not going to get rid of all the confusion unfortunately. The lossless function rotates the original image, saves automatically and re-displays the result, whereas the normal rotation saves the image as displayed (auto-rotated) when selected but does not then re-display. The orientation can be quite a surprise when the new file is re-loaded. It might be wise to advise users always to turn auto-rotate off before performing a manual rotation /save and then back on afterwards. Another good reason for my previous request for making it much easier to turn it on and off.
    Last edited by Mij; 21.03.2008, 05:20 PM.

The ‘Reset EXIF orientation’ is an option that puzzles me too. You are complaining about auto-rotating. But what about this: when I safe a .NEF file (Nikon) all the Exif information has gone forever. Keep in mind however: there's no free viewer as fast as IV and with so many possibilities. You've got a point about this ‘bug’ though. Try FastStone Viewer, which does this specific job quite better.

Comment

I beg to differ, Sjef, it may include support for EXIF data of your NEF files but in all other respects I think the way that Faststone viewer handles EXIF data is not even as good as IrfanView. It makes this same assumption that the only thing anyone wants to do with the Exif orientation tag is to get rid of it, and unlike IrfanView it does not even show you what it has done with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Mij View Post
        ...but in all other respects I think the way that Faststone viewer handles EXIF data is not even as good as IrfanView. It makes this same assumption that the only thing anyone wants to do with the Exif orientation tag is to get rid of it...
        Except me that is. When I convert a RAW file including the EXIF-data of my camera, I like to keep them for later control. When I want to delete them, than IV is the right (free) program. When I convert my NEF-files to JPG using Faststone, my EXIF-data still exists. And that is what I may expect from a viewer/converter.

Comment

Working...
        X