Smooth Scrolling feature request

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Requested Smooth Scrolling feature request

I would like to request a smooth scrolling feature. This is similar to the smooth scrolling behavior implemented in ACDSee (an image viewer too, but not freeware). Browsers like Opera and Firefox also have this feature when scrolling through webpages.

This will make high resolution and detailed images much easier to look at, as it tries to 'smoothly' display an image per keyboard button press or mouse wheel notch movement instead of instantly displaying the next part.

If memory/CPU use could be a problem, then this could be made as an option so that people can enable or disable it.

Great idea ! I support it too

Comment

Smooth scrolling in ACDSee is indeed kind of pretty, but it detracts the fastness of IV. So why build-in this rather insignificant option? Switch off ‘Use right mouse button for context menu’ in Properties»Misc.1 and you can use the right mouse button to quickly run to the right place at your image. Besides: only IV has the option View»Keep Scoll position to view a series of (allmost the same) photos, taken with the help of continuously-shooting on camera.

Comment

This could be made an option so that users with less powerful systems or just prefer that it be off can have it disabled if they want it. (It could be off by default so that it will not affect Irfanview's default performance.)

Also if you use Irfanview to read comics or manga, it will be much more convenient to do this with smooth scrolling and the keyboard.
        Last edited by dazed; 13.08.2008, 06:10 AM.

Comment

Scrolling process in IV is much slower than ACDSee. Just compare the precision with what you can drag a picture in both programs. I don't see how IV could realize smooth scrolling on anything but the most powerful computer. Besides to achieve really good looks the program must sync itself to the video adapter, i.e. redraw the picture exactly n pixels higher or lower each video frame. It is hard to do.

Irfan already can scroll using the keyboard, but the speed is too slow.
          Last edited by j7n; 13.08.2008, 09:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by j7n View Post
            I don't see how IV could realize smooth scrolling on anything but the most powerful computer.
            The other programs with smooth scrolling don't need a very powerful computer.

Besides to achieve really good looks the program must sync itself to the video adapter, i.e. redraw the picture exactly n pixels higher or lower each video frame. It is hard to do.]
            Yes, it is hard to do, but compare Irfanview's features to other image viewers or image management software and you can say that some of its features are also hard to implement, yet they are in Irfanview.

Irfan already can scroll using the keyboard, but the speed is too slow.
            I agree. There should be an option to increase the keyboard scrolling speed.
            I still use other image viewers when I want to view high resolution images to have a proper keyboard scroll option.

Comment

Smooth scrolling

Originally posted by dazed View Post
              ...Also if you use Irfanview to read comics or manga, it will be much more convenient to do this with smooth scrolling and the keyboard.
              Arrgh, now I see what you need it for. As a collector myself I can imagine reading comics (from screen) can be rather annoying without smooth scrolling.

I checked al my viewers and only ACDsee can perform this smooth scrolling. Even my portable version 2.44 can do this. No powerfull system needed. Picasa does someting similar when scrolling (looks very sturdy), but I don't use this silly program, that looks to be made for chaotic people with chaotic systems.

It seemes ACDsee used a rather specific routine to become this nice methode of scrolling. Irfan could look into this matter, because it would be a nice (upgrade) feature unless it slacks the program in whole.

Comment

Yeah, ACDSee can scroll very smoothly even on a Pentium II.

Comment

Working...
                X