Automaticly reload when a file changes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Requested Automaticly reload when a file changes

Would it be possible to add an option to 'watch' a file for changes, so that when another program changes the file it is automatically reloaded?
    This would make it possible to use irfanview as a very simple image display for all kinds of programs.

Hmm. I don't agree with being IV in the role of just serving as an image display for a ruling application.
    But I think I understand the request.
    I know of several programs being able to detect any change in the file by another app, of the one they have loaded at that moment.
    I never think of an automatic solution in the first place, so a warning to 'reload' could be sufficient as well.
    Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

I also would not want a "watched folder." That would be one more overhead application running when I don't need it. If I want some new status of a particular folder, I could easily click refresh, with zero overhead.
      I wish to die peacefully in my sleep, like my grandfather.
      Not like those passengers, in his car, when he drove over that cliff.

Comment

There's almost no overhead, thanks to the FindFirstChangeNotification/FindNextChangeNotification/FindCloseChangeNotification functions. The right way to implement it for me would be adding an option that gives you the chance to obtain notifications of the changes (maybe a yes/no dialog box that notifies you the change and asks you if you want to reload the image), to reload automatically the image or to ignore the changes.
        Another feature like this that could be added is adding monitoring to the current folder to make sure that the internal file list loaded by IV is always up to date: many times I'm copying photos from the camera and I start to watch them with IV (using Enter for fullscreen and the arrow keys), which lets me navigate only between the ones which were copied when it started. To update the list I have to make IV scan another directory and then rescan the old one.
        IrfanPaint developer
        The latest stable IrfanPaint version is the 0.4.13.70.
        IrfanPaint is now open-source (released under BSD license).

Comment

Working...
        X