Resample While Zooming in Fullscreen Mode too

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well it is finally here everyone! Version 4.25 has:
    • New display option: Use Resample for zooming (Menu: View->Display options)
    • New fullscreen option: Use Resample for zooming (Properties->Fullscreen)

Comment

Resampling is by default still off when zooming on fullscreen, but at least zoom-to-selection resamples by default. So, it's now better. BTW, zooming is still not the best friend of Irfan... it seems to me that it's quite slow and RAM hungry because it resamples the whole image at once even if you going to see only a little part of it.

Comment

Originally posted by ddekany View Post
        Resampling is by default still off when zooming on fullscreen, but at least zoom-to-selection resamples by default. So, it's now better. BTW, zooming is still not the best friend of Irfan... it seems to me that it's quite slow and RAM hungry because it resamples the whole image at once even if you going to see only a little part of it.
        Yes, it appears Irfan has come through with a pretty decent solution for all of us. Not sure why he would leave only resampled zooming off in full screen, but oh well. I do like it now that zoom is consistent, and that you can still refresh for a resample, if you leave resampled zooming off. Of course you do simultaneously lose the + and - resamples in favor of consistency, but oh well, it's good enough for me. More users will probably be happy with this than I first imagined.

RAM hungriness has always been a problem, as has been a "total" resample. Only thing I can figure, is that you only have to wait once and then can move around with ease, but that really isn't very efficient all the time. Not sure which way would be better for that one...

Comment

When zooming to selection, a more efficient way is to resample only the part that will be shown after zooming, when that's done then immediately showing it, then continue resampling in the background (i.e., without blocking) around the selection in a spiral pattern, so that if the user will scroll the image, it can react faster. Of course, for big images it could cause jitters in the scrolling speed (which is still better than waiting a lot though), but that also can be fixed by showing a quick pixel-resize preview of the places for which the resampling is not done yet, and then gradually replace it when it's done. (Technically, for this the resampling must be doable in arbitrary tiles of the image. So you have the image data, and a set of resampled tiles associated to it. Some tiles may have to be drop when they are far enough from the currently viewed part, so that the memory usage will not grow too big.)
          Last edited by ddekany; 19.06.2009, 07:50 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Skippybox View Post
            Yes, it appears Irfan has come through with a pretty decent solution for all of us.
            What is disappointing is that Irfan has not tackled any of the underlying problems. One is that resampling in IrfanView is so much slower than in other applications. Secondly, as Ddekany says, there are 2 step processes that other programs use giving a quick zoomed view, either by simple resizing or by resampling a smaller area, and then following up with the full resampled image when available. However that is no use if you cannot interrupt the slow process. What irritates me is when you request several zoom steps and then have to wait for each one to complete in turn. That is especially annoying when using the mouse wheel to zoom.
            I will still be leaving resampling unchecked in all the views I fear.

Comment

Originally posted by Mij View Post
              What is disappointing is that Irfan has not tackled any of the underlying problems. One is that resampling in IrfanView is so much slower than in other applications. Secondly, as Ddekany says, there are 2 step processes that other programs use giving a quick zoomed view, either by simple resizing or by resampling a smaller area, and then following up with the full resampled image when available. However that is no use if you cannot interrupt the slow process. What irritates me is when you request several zoom steps and then have to wait for each one to complete in turn. That is especially annoying when using the mouse wheel to zoom.
              I will still be leaving resampling unchecked in all the views I fear.
              Getting the underlying problems resolved would be an enormous victory, but that wasn't my intention. Basically, I was looking to tie up loose ends on the current setup (you know, that "chipping", Mij). Overwhelming Irfan with such a significant change might not go so well. Yet, maybe it is time since he has gone and modified the whole Properties dialog in 4.25. Nonetheless, I'm happy with the little success. Although, I have spotted a tiny flaw, as mentioned in this thread post.

I do like the delayed quality resample in other programs and a localized, non-blocking resample would be pretty neat. If you are all OK with a bit of stutter during scrolling or panning, then I'm down with that too I suppose.

Mij, you really should re-enable Use "Resample" for fitting. You get improved quality with no real loss of speed over a resize. Now that it is separated from zooming operations, you don't have to worry about lock-ups. Try comparing it on and off, most images still open almost instantaneously and others that are slow would still be slow without the resample.

Comment

Working...
              X