left button for enlarge image as magnifier

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Skippybox View Post
    That is true, but you can't move and size at the same time anyway. ... An extra click here and there, but it is workable....
    Sorry, I know I introduced the subject of context menus but it is taking us well OT, so let's backtrack. At present the menu is only activated when the right mouse button is clicked outside of the selection anyway. Unless Irfan should decide to introduce proper context sensitive menus that works OK and we can continue to use both buttons inside the box in the same way whether or not the menu option has been selected. The simple expedient of swapping the use of the right and left mouse buttons for the Zoom and Move functions inside the box avoids the problem that Jazzman highlighted without the need of another option. IMHO it is more logical too but others will disagree I am sure.

I did want to make the point that an Option is a trade-off, not a freebie. You choose between a function A or a function B. If you select B then you lose the use of A. Many people who request Options do not seem to appreciate that. It is why I am less than enthusiastic about the magnifying glass feature used by Faststone. While you are using the cursor to move a magnifying glass around the screen you cannot use it for anything else.
    The ability in IrfanView to draw a box around an area and zoom it to fill the window, is actually a very powerful way of magnifying an area of interest. It is there by default when working in a window, and I think could be made available in fullscreen view too without too much effort. Not as an option though. This is a case where we need to keep our functions A and B.

I'm still looking forward to MijView. I am serious. Do you think you can come up with it? Are you good at programming?
    Too late for that I am afraid. I used to do a bit of programming once, but I am really a hardware man. I could never run fast enough to keep abreast of both. Eventually I got pushed into management and ceased to be an expert in anything.

Comment

Easy to get OT when so many features are intertwined. I just wonder if we are trying too hard to preserve IrfanView's interface, making it impossible to expand its feature set.

Originally posted by Mij View Post
      I did want to make the point that an Option is a trade-off, not a freebie. You choose between a function A or a function B. If you select B then you lose the use of A. Many people who request Options do not seem to appreciate that. It is why I am less than enthusiastic about the magnifying glass feature used by Faststone.
      Good point. However, many of those who ask for options really don't need to be able to do everything. Many would prefer a function B over a function A, which is why they ask for it. They want choice, not necessarily power. Besides, the interface could be revised if that was the goal, allowing an easier method to call functions quickly.

But, I don't see a reason why you can't have power and choice. Your idea is logical, simple and gives the mouse great power. Maybe we do have to go back and consider using modifier keys that could enhance it. Of course, why couldn't we have a selectable cursor mode from the toolbar? It might be difficult, but everybody would be happy having the mouse behavior they want.

Too late for that I am afraid. I used to do a bit of programming once, but I am really a hardware man. I could never run fast enough to keep abreast of both. Eventually I got pushed into management and ceased to be an expert in anything.
      Never too late for anything. I understand being 'pushed', though.

Comment

Working...
      X