Expand/Contract Selection Rectangle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Requested Expand/Contract Selection Rectangle

I use Ctrl-Left button click-drag all the time to maintain the aspect ratio when resizing a selection rectangle on an image (eg prior to a crop).What would be good is if the resizing could be done where the selection rectangle will increase or decrease in size while maintaining the aspect ratio around the fixed centre point of the selection rectangle rather than a fixed corner point. This could be done using Alt-Left button click-drag or similar perhaps. This would really help when you have sized up your image and want to fine tune the "framing" area of the image. Sorry if this doesn't make sense - a diagram would show what I mean.

Thanks Irfan for creating such an essential application for my PC

Browny,

Oh, yes, I like that idea
    Its: Belongs to "It"
    It's: Shortened form of "It is"
    ---------------------
    Lose: Fail to keep
    Loose: Not tight

---------------------
    Plurals do not require apostrophes

Comment

I like it too, but might I suggest killing two birds with this particular stone.

In most applications you can resize boxes by dragging either the sides or the corners. Although you set up a selection box initially by dragging a corner, IrfanView then only allows you to drag the sides when you want to adjust it. That applies whether you have Ctrl pressed or not. The consequence is that it usually takes four operations to set the exact size you want rather than two. So, without Ctrl pressed I would propose that the cursor changes to a diagonal arrow when you get near to a corner and you can then click and drag the corner instead of the side.

When Ctrl is pressed you could similarly pick up the corner but, as you drag, the two adjacent sides would move so as to maintain the aspect ratio. That is itself an improvement on the current method where you are never quite sure which other side is going to move when you drag one of them. If instead you picked up a side with Ctrl pressed all four sides would move to maintain the aspect ratio, around the centre point, just as Browny wants.

Any takers for that?

Comment

Works for me
        Its: Belongs to "It"
        It's: Shortened form of "It is"
        ---------------------
        Lose: Fail to keep
        Loose: Not tight

---------------------
        Plurals do not require apostrophes

Comment

Working...