Zoom Combo Box on Toolbar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Implemented Zoom Combo Box on Toolbar

I think it would be very nice to have a zoom combo box on a toolbar. I use options "Fit window to image" and "Fit only big images to window" quite often. To change between them I have to use menu, which is not very handy. I think the combo box should have some "Fit to" options (eg Fit big images to window, Fit to window width) and some percent values (eg 50%, 100%, 200%).

Sometimes a exact zoom value should be set. To do this one may simply type percent value in combo box and press enter.

I've made a picture of modified toolbar to show what I mean.

I think that zooming from toolbar will make IrfanView more user-friendly, and it will gain more popularity.
    Attached Files

Originally posted by itwisp View Post
    Fit big images to window
    The combo box such you describe should not set IV's preferences. It is allright to fit the current image, but not "big images". Such command belongs strictly to an Options menu.

Comment

Funny picture, itwisp
      However, not for me. I allmost never zoom and when I do, I use the plus and minus keys. Even so much so (Shift»Alt»T) I don't even use the toolbar...

Comment

Excellent, but be careful!

I think this is a fantastic idea! It is probably one of the best features IrfanView has long been missing. Very interesting picture.

Originally posted by itwisp View Post
        Sometimes a exact zoom value should be set. To do this one may simply type percent value in combo box and press enter.
        I like this part very much, but I think IrfanView should allow you to enter a ratio (i.e. 1/8) for a more exact zoom and/or extend zoom to the hundredth place (.00) rather than just use integers.

Originally posted by j7n View Post
        The combo box such you describe should not set IV's preferences. It is alright to fit the current image, but not "big images". Such command belongs strictly to an Options menu.
        While I don't really see why the combo box couldn't set IV's preferences, I do think it would make it more complicated. You must be cautionary that it doesn't interfere with other settings. The problem is your combo box uses display settings and zoom together. I could appreciate this. However, the combo box could only be set to one option. So, how would the program know what display setting to use for a particular zoom? This would be just one issue of probably several. In the end though, they probably could be worked out. Other programs use a similar combo box, but aren't affected by IrfanView's advanced display options and other settings.

Originally posted by Sjef View Post
        However, not for me. I allmost never zoom and when I do, I use the plus and minus keys. Even so much so (Shift»Alt»T) I don't even use the toolbar...
        Many programs offer several ways (menus, keyboard, toolbars) to accomplish the same task giving users the option to use the method that suits them best. This feature would probably be the quickest way to adjust zoom, since currently you have to step through unnecessary levels using the toolbar button or keyboard. I'm guessing it would still be faster than changing the zoom in Properties, too.
        Last edited by Skippybox; 19.08.2008, 04:10 PM. Reason: Added a request

Comment

Working...
        X