Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Requested Minimize to Tray capability

Hi,

For my work I sometimes have an image I need to return to several times. If I open the image in irfanview the program occupies place on task bar which also hurts ergonomics. Could you please consider adding Miminize to Tray (a.k.a. Notification area) capability to Irfanview.

Another feature that would do the trick for me is a feature to automatically show last viewed image on startup. As an active SlickRun user (www.bayden.com/SlickRun/) I can re-open irfanview in a wink, so all I need in this case is an image I last viewed be already there.

Use ALT+Tab.

Either never close an instance of IrfanView or make a shortcut to your last viewed image that you can call up quickly.

Comment

Originally posted by ovz View Post
      As an active SlickRun user (www.bayden.com/SlickRun/) I can re-open irfanview in a wink, ...
      Every computer I have and I do have a few, and every computer I have had for years, I have put a keyboard shortcut of "Ctrl+Alt+I" on the (Start>Programs>IrfanView>)IrfanView launch icon.

I can always get to this and other favorite programs (I usually set up about 8 to 10 per PC) using the well documented "make a ShortCut key" sequence. I don't need any special (SlickRun?) program.
      I wish to die peacefully in my sleep, like my grandfather.
      Not like those passengers, in his car, when he drove over that cliff.

Comment

That is right!!! Why can't you just use shortcuts and hotkeys!

Comment

Guys . I certainly can invest some time in establishing a shortcut for an image I need for some predictable occasion. I'm talking about some temporary image that I would or wouldn't want to lookup.

As for Alt+Tab suggestion, anything that fights crowded taskbar is a boon to me.

BTW Vista's Start menu provides a feature similar to Slickrun, it searches for applications by keyword. I've managed not to migrate yet so I can't compare fully not to mention this is not the forum to do so.

Comment

Well, ovz additionally wanted the IV window to open with his last viewed image. A shortcut alone won't do that, so that might be a nice feature request.

BUT!! If IrfanView is set as the default viewer for his desired images, he could just go to the Start menu, and if his Most Recent Item list is there (since it can be disabled, I qualified that) then he will see that last image there (along with a few more recently viewed things) and he could make that selection to open that item with IrfanView.

Comment

That is a good tip.

It isn't that hard to make a shortcut. CTRL+SHIFT+drag the file in Explorer to the desktop. Drag and drop the shortcut on your IrfanView shortcut to open it. Isn't that kind of easy?

Comment

Originally posted by ovz View Post
                I certainly can invest some time in establishing a shortcut for an image I need for some predictable occasion. I'm talking about some temporary image that I would or wouldn't want to lookup.
                I totally understand and desire this, too. Honestly though, it may never come to be, so you should consider your options. You'll have to, at least in the meantime.

Comment

Originally posted by Skippybox View Post
                  It isn't that hard to make a shortcut. CTRL+SHIFT+drag the file in Explorer to the desktop. Drag and drop the shortcut on your IrfanView shortcut to open it. Isn't that kind of easy?
                  I don't consider that easy. Not hard, but certainly not as easy as it could be.

And why would ovz want to do that? To create a shortcut of one image just to have an easy way of opening that one image.

First. That one image is not going to always be the last image he was working on. The last image he works on is always going to vary. To constantly make a new shortcut, to that last image worked on, is just a waste of time. It is always changing.

Second. If IrfanView is the default application for an image type then if you just double-click on the shortcut your created (which I just explained was wasteful and tedious) it will open in IrfanView, anyway. So why drag any image to the IrfanView shortcut? It already is the default application.

Not only that, but I generally like to keep a fairly clean desktop (not to the brink of psychosis, mind you) so I do not have a shortcut to IrfanView on my desktop. I use my keyboard shortcut (the aforementioned Ctrl+Alt+I) to quickly open IrfanView. From there I can drag any image type (not just the ones defined to IrfanView) or even any file I think IrfanView can handle, into the IV window.

Comment

Originally posted by ChuckE View Post
                    BUT!! If IrfanView is set as the default viewer for his desired images, he could just go to the Start menu, and if his Most Recent Item list is there (since it can be disabled, I qualified that) then he will see that last image there (along with a few more recently viewed things) and he could make that selection to open that item with IrfanView.
                    The entry in the Recent Items list is the last file Opened from the Open File dialog. If you are working your way through a folder of images using forward and back keys, you usually want to remember where you got to (i.e. the last file Viewed) not where you started. That is not saved anywhere AFAIK.

Comment

Originally posted by Mij View Post
                      The entry in the Recent Items list is the last file Opened from the Open File dialog. If you are working your way through a folder of images using forward and back keys, you usually want to remember where you got to (i.e. the last file Viewed) not where you started. That is not saved anywhere AFAIK.
                      Mij is absolutely right. Using the Recent Items list would be ridiculous, considering that most of the ways users open and browse images don't produce entries. Additionally, trying to pick out the image from an alphabetical list would require remembering the name and it would be slow.

I don't see why a user would need to make a shortcut every time they used IrfanView. Most of the time, they will never need a last viewed image because they either finished their task or it will be irrelevant the next time. ovz even said, "...some temporary image that I would or wouldn't want to lookup". If it really was important, I would think they would be willing to make the investment in a shortcut. This is especially true if you are continually working on a particular image. Many users work with the folder as they are viewing anyway. If I know I'm going to be working on something again tomorrow, why not make a shortcut today? Isn't this what shortcuts are for?

If you don't like shorcuts, what do you suggest one do? Do you really want to hunt down that image manually every time?

Originally posted by ChuckE
                      If IrfanView is the default application for an image type then if you just double-click on the shortcut your created (which I just explained was wasteful and tedious) it will open in IrfanView, anyway. So why drag any image to the IrfanView shortcut? It already is the default application.
                      Yes, but who said it will be? Many users don't make associations to IrfanView.

Originally posted by ChuckE
                      I do not have a shortcut to IrfanView on my desktop. I use my keyboard shortcut (the aforementioned Ctrl+Alt+I) to quickly open IrfanView. From there I can drag any image type (not just the ones defined to IrfanView) or even any file I think IrfanView can handle, into the IV window.
                      Yes, but unless you start IrfanView minimized, it will take up room on your desktop making it more difficult to find an item. It also uses taskbar real estate, like ovz dislikes.

If someone doesn't want to make shortcuts, then they always can open IrfanView and press F5 and type in the index number of the last image viewed. They just have to remember the index number before they close IrfanView. This will usually work under most circumstances, unless the folder is modified between use. If you are simply working on something at night and then want to resume again in the morning, you should have no problem with this method. There are alternatives, but it really depends on how you use your images.

Anyway, in the meantime this recently viewed image list feature has been added to the project list!

Comment

Working...
                      X