Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Able to switch from random do normal advancement in slideshow or..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Requested Able to switch from random do normal advancement in slideshow or..

The slideshow as it is now is good, but would be perfect if i could switch between random advancement and normal advancement as i am viewing the slideshow, without exiting it. Or make ctrl+m work in the slideshow and advance normaly from that random image.

Another way to do this would be to include subfolder in normal view.

As it is now i have thousands of files in one directory to get the exact result i am looking for (ctrl+m for random pic, and than forward backward whatever), but i really would like to keep them in directories with dates.

Did you know that you can press CTRL+ Number (0-9) and the index will increase by that number (0=10) in 4.23? It works in slideshow too, but you'll have to do a normal advancement, of course, for effectiveness. Holding CTRL while browsing will increase by 5.

Can you explain further how your files are named and organized? Maybe you can locate a file better another way, using Search or something. What are you trying to achieve?

Comment

I have tons of pictures like oldtimers, bikes, nature, people, astronomy, etc... they are in fact so many i forgot some of them due to not having them in directories with names that actually make sense. They are all in five massive folders and it is a mess because i didn´t followed through with a meaningful naming nor did i made descriptions (i know my fault). I really like to browse them in random mode, because sometimes i see a picture that i haven't seen in a long time. From that image on i want to advance manually in normal order. See i have sorted them by date, due to the mess in naming series aren´t together in alphabetical order, but most of them are by date.

So my goal is to put them into directories according to the subject of the image or maybe by date haven´t decided yet. This would mean i can´t browse my images the way i like it. Since only the slideshow is able to include subfolders, but you can only choose between random and normal advancement and not switch between the two while the slideshow is running. Basically i want the same browsing controls i got in the viewer in the slideshow too. Or the ability to include subfolders in the open dialog only selecting the folder that holds the subfolders displaying the first image of the first directory, and if i then press ctrl+m it would pick also an image from a subfolder.

Comment

In case you do not get what you want in IrfanView...have you tried the slide show with Wildbit Viewer? . I think that may be close to what you need. Hint: If you choose a full screen slide show in that app. try the pop-up Control box feature (Ctrl+B).

Comment

You can load all files from subfolders (Options menu) using the Thumbnails Window (Press T). You don't even need the thumbs to actually load if you choose Stop. Just click on a thumb to start the viewer and you can browse all the files in the index. The thumb window is very configurable and can even load a special set of files or even remove files from the temporary index.

Comment

Originally posted by Skippybox View Post
            You can load all files from subfolders (Options menu) using the Thumbnails Window (Press T). You don't even need the thumbs to actually load if you choose Stop. Just click on a thumb to start the viewer and you can browse all the files in the index. The thumb window is very configurable and can even load a special set of files or even remove files from the temporary index.
            Thank you, thats exactly what i was looking for.

Comment

In case you want to further take advantage of Irfanview, I should tell you about loading files.

You can use Search (CTRL+F) to gather your files. There is a search subfolders option and you can easily use a filter like *.*, *.jpg, or 2005.04*.jpg, etc. Then, you choose to remove some, sort them, show full screen, show in viewer, or show in thumbnails!

The other thing you can do is load file lists. If your files are rather static, you could save a listing of them in Slideshow or Thumbnails as a txt file. Then, you can load the txt file later on in Thumbnails or Slideshow to view the files. It can be a great time saver and help organize sets of files. Plus, you can set up a shortcut to automatically load a txt file and start viewing images right away:

Code:
              "C:\Program Files\IrfanView\i_view32.exe" /filelist="C:\Thousands.txt"
              You can add other switches too, if you wanted to start in full screen, for example. You could even make a batch file that allows you to drop a txt file on it.

CTRL+W will allow you to start a slideshow of the files in the index of the viewer. Thumbnails has a couple slideshow tools, as well. In fact, with the amazing Move dialog you can start to organize your files or Shift+drag them to folders in Thumbnails. CTRL+Del temporarily removes files from the index.

Comment

Another program you might like is FreeCommander. It lets you view files in flat view, which shows all the subfolders' files in the same view along with the root folder's files. So, you can view them different ways and do operations with them. There is also a nice Quick View panel for seeing the image and so many options.

Note: The latest version 2009.02 seems to have a bug where the thumbnails do not show for the subfolders in flat view. Hopefully this will be fixed in the next version.
                Last edited by Skippybox; 11.04.2009, 11:56 PM.

Comment

wow, i should really start to read the manual right now. This is precisely the type of options/command-line possibilities i could use to organize my mess, at least a big part of it. If i would have checked the help file -> thumbnails -> thumbnail window i would already have directories with names that tell me what the subject of the pictures is about, because i would be organized in the first place.

Therefore again THANK YOU helping out a lazy old man.

Comment

Working...
                  X