Viewing resampling options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Requested Viewing resampling options

I always longed for an option to chose different (better) resampling function for viewing like Lanczos, because default (Cubic or bi-Cubic?) resampling function noticeably blurs the image. Also, it would be nice to add optionally post processing, i.e. sharpening filter.
    Yes
    75.00%
    No
    25.00%

The resample filter is controlled throughout the program by what you have selected in the Image>Resize/Resample dialog (CTRL+R).

Comment

Originally posted by Skippybox View Post
      The resample filter is controlled throughout the program by what you have selected in the Image>Resize/Resample dialog (CTRL+R).
      Now that you mention it i don't SEE a frikkin difference betwen different resampling functions in IV 4.23. They all produce exactly the same picture. Which is not supposed to be.

Comment

You must make sure the filter is actually chosen in the dialog or the ini AND that you reload (Shift+R) your image for it to take effect. Look here to see the differences. View at 100%.

Click

Comment

Yeah, there are noticable differences when upsampling. BUT not when downsampling. Check that out.

Comment

Yes, it appears IrfanView does ignore the filters when downsampling. I would consider this a major flaw. It is very misleading to the user, considering images are not resampled properly when resizing either.

Comment

Moving to Imagine

I'm pretty much dissapointed with IV as a viewer as of now. It has slowest redraw speed. And notice how much blurry image is in IV than in Imagine when they are fitted to display resolution (using "resample" option in IV and "antialias" in Imagine):

Original image

And BTW related to IV, i noticed that downsampled picture when viewing has worse quality that downsampled through resize command.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Slider2k; 19.04.2009, 05:10 PM.

Comment

Well, if you've found the perfect viewer, why not use it?

How does one determine the quality of an image? To me, IrfanView looks closer to the original. A fakely sharpened image may look clearer, but does that mean it is quality or better? Some filters are smooth, some sharp. In many cases, it is personal preference.

Comment

Well, if you've found the perfect viewer, why not use it?
                  Imagine is noway perfect, but as a viewer it has some qualities that IV lacks. And it seems that Irfan is reluctant to improve on it. And i'm using Imagine now, don't you worry.

How does one determine the quality of an image? To me, IrfanView looks closer to the original.
                  You have to have EYES. As i used IV for a long time now this resampling blurring became clear to me and started to irritate me so that i just preffered to not fit images on screen to not see it. Here's a little example for you: you need a picture that is just a little bit taller or wider to fit on your screen, then just press "F" and see how "good" IV does retain sharpness of the original.

A fakely sharpened image may look clearer, but does that mean it is quality or better?
                  Second picture is objectively shows more detail, that can't be a result of sharpening. Besides that, sharpening leaves destinctive marks on image.

Some filters are smooth, some sharp. In many cases, it is personal preference.
                  The better resampling filter is that retains more detail from the original. If i would like a blurry result i'd add blur filter afterwards, thank you very much.

Comment

You must make sure the filter is actually chosen in the dialog or the ini AND that you reload (Shift+R) your image for it to take effect. Look here to see the differences. View at 100%.

Click
                    Hi Skippybox. I don't understand your instructions. When I open an image, hit "+" repeatedly to enlarge and then hit Shift+R to to reload (as you suggest), the image goes back to its original size.

Comment

Originally posted by boarder's paradise View Post
                      Hi Skippybox. I don't understand your instructions. When I open an image, hit "+" repeatedly to enlarge and then hit Shift+R to to reload (as you suggest), the image goes back to its original size.
                      Sorry, what I wrote was just to demonstrate to Slider2K that you should not expect the filter to load immediately because you change it. The image must be reloaded, refreshed, or zoomed to get it to change. So yes, I would not recommend choosing reload if you plan on retaining the zoom level. Pressing F5 usually works, but not well in fullscreen since that could refit the image, too. Doing a plus, minus would be better, but as you know, resampled zooming isn't possible in fullscreen.

Comment

ok, got it thanks

So actually, all the posts here only apply to "normal mode", not to fullscreen mode, right? Maybe that should be added somewhere, so that other users won't go into the same mental impasse as me ...
                        Last edited by boarder's paradise; 04.06.2009, 09:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by boarder's paradise View Post
                          So actually, all the posts here only apply to "normal mode", not to fullscreen mode, right? Maybe that should be added somewhere, so that other users won't go into the same mental impasse as me ...
                          No, because resampling is possible in fullscreen, it just only works for fitting.

Comment

Ok, but at least post #4 doesn't apply to fullscreen mode, right ?

Comment

I don't see why it couldn't. You can change filters in fullscreen, it's just you'll only appreciate them when fitted.

Comment

Working...
                              X