Alignment options for fullscreen text display

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Requested Alignment options for fullscreen text display

This is totally not high priority, but I'd love to be able to have more control over the text alignment in the fullscreen display. Specifically, I want to place multiple parts of text in different places on the screen, so that my text doesn't overlap my photos. Not sure if this could be done with an alignment code in the text command rather than just the single alignment option in the properties box.

I don't get your point. Apart from the fact that it isn't possible to edit in full screen (using the mouse) and the fact that IrfanView don't use layers, what is wrong about the ability to insert text in lots of selections (one at a time) using IrfanView?
    Maybe your problem can be solved using IrfanPaint (F12).

Comment

Originally posted by asahel View Post
      This is totally not high priority, but I'd love to be able to have more control over the text alignment in the fullscreen display. Specifically, I want to place multiple parts of text in different places on the screen, so that my text doesn't overlap my photos. Not sure if this could be done with an alignment code in the text command rather than just the single alignment option in the properties box.
      I think I understand what asahel is trying to say... in IrfanPaint, possibly, he creates a filled rectangle of approximate size and then adds text inside this rectangle. But when the end result is seen, he probably finds that the text is not aligned correctly within the rectangle. So he needs to start all over again!

My workaround for this is:
      1) Create the filled rectangle with your best guess
      2) Write your text, align it from within the Text Tool (options are Left, Center and Right alone)
      3) Use Text Preview - if it is correctly aligned, YaY! no problems, you got it right the very first time!
      4) If it isn't correctly aligned, SAVE your Text and cancel the Text Tool!

At this point, your non-aligned text may be because of;
      a) The rectangle being oversized or undersized
      b) The starting point of your Text being incorrect
      c) Both a) and b)

Let us take case a) first:

5) If you need to resize your rectangle, press Control+Z right after you cancel the Text Tool - your rectangle will disappear and you may create a better-sized rectangle this time, then call up the Text Tool, Paste your Text (instead of typing it all over again) and check, using Preview. Hopefully, you get it right this time!

Now taking up case b):

6) If your rectangle was OK and it is your text that wasn't aligned properly, simply re-start Text Tool (DO NOT undo your rectangle, as it isn't at fault!)
      7) Paste your text, making sure that you have hit the correct starting point for the text this time!

and if you have problem c), you need to do steps 1) to 7)!

You may have to do this a couple of times, before you get it juuuust right!

As mentioned correctly by Sjef, IrfanView does not work with layers and therefore auto aligning isn't possible, I guess!

Hope this tip saves you time!
      Download IrfanView Help Manual from:
      IrfanView Website - Here
      Sam_Zen's Website - Here
      Author's Website - Here

Comment

No, asahel is talking about the temporary overlay text you can optionally display. You can only choose one location for the text and that can hide the images. asahel wants to determine which text appears in which location so as to minimally hide the images. To me though, it would be too complicated. It's far easier to just show/hide the text on demand using the N key.

Comment

Skippybox is correct. Sorry my first post was unclear!

I want to arrange the info text overlay in fullscreen mode so that it doesn't overlap the photos. i.e. I want to have some info overlayed in each corner of the screen.

Like I said, it's totally not a priority. And now that I know about the N key shortcut maybe it's not necessary.

Comment

Just now I see what you mean Asahel (thanks to Skippybox). That's because I only use the parameters $F and $S in the 'Show text'-box at Full screen dialog.

You can not only use the N key, but the E and I key as well. The E key only comes up if there's EXIF-data inside the (fotographic) files.

When you want to browse while the E(xif) dialog is on screen, you use AltĀ»Tab to reactivate IrfanView in stead of the activated dialog. It's a little unfortunate that this dialog isn't scalable (yet).

Comment

Okay! I don't use the Text Overlay feature too much, so it didn't strike me that way! In fact, I need to study the text Overlay feature in greater detail!
              Download IrfanView Help Manual from:
              IrfanView Website - Here
              Sam_Zen's Website - Here
              Author's Website - Here

Comment

At best, I think you could get variable opacity text, but that doesn't look possible in IrfanView.

BTW, FastStone Image Viewer has a mouse-activated sliding panel for basic info.

Comment

Working...
                X