Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Requested command line paramter "quit" or "close"

Hi,

a command line parameter for closing just the called IrfanView instance would be nice. A few days ago I requested a CopyToClipboard function which is not really necessarry because this could be done by calling IV from the command line.

But than IV stays open or if I use "killmesoftly" as a parameter, all instances of IV will be closed. So a parameter for just quitting the instance opened by command line would be nice.

I tried severeal other parameters but the only thing which might work would be a dummy printer, which prints to a file, always overwriting this (or maybe print to the nul device) and using the copy to clipboard function, print to this dummy printer and then quit.

Regards, Nils.

Presumably Irfanview stays open after a /clipcopy command line to let the user do something with the clipboard copy that has been made, such as paste it into Irfanview and either view, save or edit it.

Those IV command line options where no user action is expected or needed usually do terminate themselves automatically.

Comment

But if I want to use the screen shot in IrfanView there is no need to use the copy to clipboard command. And if I print the screen shot running IV from the command line then IV would be closed.

Have a look at the help / command line parameters:
      /convert=filename - convert input file to 'filename' and CLOSE IrfanView
      /killmesoftly - close all IrfanView instances
      /print - print input image to default printer and close IrfanView
      /print="Name" - print input image to specific printer and close IrfanView
      /clipcopy - copy image to the clipboard

So some parameters will do an action and close IV. And /killmesoftly will close all instances.

Maybe a single /quit parameter would be better than having some commands which will quit automatically.

Comment

Yes, you do have a point. Irfan appears to acknowledge that you may want to close the program after copying a file to clipboard by giving /clipcopy /killmesoftly as an example.

/killmesoftly is a powerful option that does indeed close all running copies of Irfanview, even portable copies running from a Flash drive, so I do now agree that your request is perfectly reasonable.

Judging by the response you have had though it does not appear to be bothering too may others.

Comment

Working...
        X