Request for support of XMP metadata tags

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Request for support of XMP metadata tags

I've used IrfanView for a long time since it could open seemingly all image files. What surprised is that it doesn't seem to be able to read XMP metadata from images when my photo viewer on my NAS could. I've tagged some pictures on my mobile with metatags, downloaded them to my computer and was wondering why IrfanView is not displaying the tags. Apparently they don't get saved into EXIF or IPTC but in XMP, which seems to be currently preferred place to store those for a lot of apps.

Would you be able to update IrfanView with that feature please?

Have you tried to read the data using IPTC option? As far as I know, XMP should be based on IPTC, so there might be some compatibility.
    My system: IrfanView 4.62 64bit, Windows 10 22H2, Intel Core i5-3570, 16GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1050Ti 4GB

Comment

This is one of these very old and repeating requests, I just found one from 2008 and I made one in 2013 ...

Most photo-managing programs can be set to write both IPTC and XMP metadata, when possible, "for compatibility". IPTC is obsolete and limited and IrfanView is actually the only reason I am still using it. IV can not see my ratings, colour labels and some other stuff, that only exists in XMP. While still my default image viewer, I am mostly using it to launch other programs, when some kind of work has to be done.
      IrfanView 4.62 64-bit

Comment

METADATA PlugIn (4.62.3) is available on the PlugIns page.
        Option to view/import (existing) XMP data in IPTC dialog [...]
        My first impressions are good.
        IrfanView 4.62 64-bit

Comment

Working...
        X