Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Show help lines in picture (not in selection)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Show help lines in picture (not in selection)

Hi.

I'm editing the scores for my brass band and I put text (song name + instrument) on top of the page where this info is missing (i.E. on 2nd/3rd... pages). I would like to put this text in the middle of the page and would really appreciate help lines. I am aware of the lines in selections but in such a selection (CTRL+A) I can't put the text with a little space to the edge of the page.

So what I would really like to have are optional permanent help lines, according to 'show selection grid' and then thirds and fourths or maybe some other options.....fourths would be great for finding the middle ?

Thanks a lot for this AMAZING piece of software!!

Cheers
    Thorsten

IrfanView was developed as a fast picture viewer, and despite all the other functions, that is still its main purpose. Help lines are available
    in design and DTP programs, not in picture viewers.
    1) You could use Edit > Create custom selection and create a special selection at the place you want it to have.
    Then you can enter the text (CTRL + T) into that selection.
    2) You could use a grid with a fixed grid cell size: To set the grid size, go to Properties/Settings > Editing > Set grid cell size.
    There you can also set the grid color.
    3) Use a free program such as the Libre Office Suite, here Libre Office Draw, or Inkscape.
    Last edited by Kuki Dent; 18.05.2022, 10:10 PM.
    Win 10/64 Home 22H2 IrfanView 4.67/64
    Hate has caused a lot of problems in this world, but it has not solved one yet. (Maya Angelou)

Comment

I'm sorry for not replying ?
      I tried your solution...it works, I but decided that having the text exactly in the middle of the page is not important enough to perform these steps on every single page of the scores ?

Thanks for your help!
      Thorsten

Comment

You could turn on the selection grid (Edit/Show selection grid), maybe to "Golden ratio" and hit ctrl-a. That selects the whole image and you will see a grid. As long as the grid is not too annoying, you could leave the selection grid on all the time.

Matt

Comment

Hi Matt.

Thanks, the only problem with the selection grid is that it disappears when I want to draw a line. Or that I have to remove the selection when I want to place text.

I tried "Show fixed grid". That works, but I always have to calculate how many pixels the half is and enter the size into the options. Plus I often have bigger bitmaps and the grid cell size can only be 999 max. So I have to set the picture size/4. It works, but with different bitmap sizes it can be annoying.

So my suggestion here would be either one check box for 'half' (or maybe more for 'third', 'fourth') and Irfanview would then draw one vertical and one horizontal line on the middle.
          Or, what I would prefer, instead of entering a number for the pixels entering something like /2 draws lines in the middle, /4 fourth, /3 third etc. This should be easy to do. If IV sees a / it divides the bitmap pixels by the value behind the slash and draws the lines. The box for entering a pixel number could still be limited to 3 digits this way.

What do you guys think about that?

Cheers :-)
          Thorsten

Comment

Working...
          X