Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FastStone uses the very simple arrow icon for the in-place function. Maybe you could come up with something similar. It indicates the "after" image is being placed in the "before" area.

Here is the icon and its placement in regular view:
    [ATTACH]946[/ATTACH]
    and here is the icon and its placement in fullscreen view:
    [ATTACH]947[/ATTACH]

Notice that it is placed between the previews or in the center of the screen, making its function easy to understand. You simply momentarily hold it down.

Comment

another idea for the icon "compare with original"

... but I cannot use the splashed cat or any other copyrighted materials.
      ... another idea:

Comment

In batch mode of IrfanView I can use the function "Resize/Resample..." in combination with RIOT DLL version!
        One question: Why can I not use the function "Resize/Resample..." in single image mode?
        There is no possibility to resize the 'Optimized image'!
        (But it could be possible that someone needs this function also there!)

picture 1 and picture 2 = batch mode, picture 3 = single image mode (I've used the free "GNU-Bildzeichen"!)

(Click to view full size!)

Why not add this function "Resize/Resample..." also in single image mode?
        Last edited by Frank; 26.10.2008, 11:38 AM. Reason: change the used picture (because of possible copyrights)

Comment

What do you mean? It is already there, next to Compress to Size.

[ATTACH]948[/ATTACH]

Comment

Sorry - I did not consider this small symbol!
            I don't know why!
            Thank you for the reply!

Comment

That is OK. Always look over all the options at least once in software. You just might discover something you want!

Also, you can use the better Resize command in IrfanView before saving the image using the set file size option or Save for Web.

Comment

I know!
                And I also know something about a hint text!
                The problem is, you use your native language - however I not!
                It would be better in any case to show this text permanently!
                Then the hint text still would be in english language, but you would see the text immediately!
                That would be more understandable!
                If someone not immediately understands an icon, then would exist permanently an explaining text to read!

Comment

The Resample option exists in the main menu. So you could use that or Ctrl + R.

>>you can use the better Resize command in IrfanView
                  In what way better? It uses mainly the same algorythms and RIOT in addition includes the Catmull-Rom filter - the best interpolating cubic filter.
                  Speed is better in IrfanView but note that RIOT is also processing images, not just resizing them.

Frank, very good, but replace the movie frame (we are talking about pictures) and include a curved arrow that shows the bottom image will be replaced.
                  The magnifier was clearer in the yearlier version of the icon.
                  Also you can remove the background and the round rectangle and save the icon as bmp.
                  RIOT developer
                  visit the Radical Image Optimization Tool website

Comment

a new icon for "compare with original"

Thanks again for the advice!
                    I have replaced the movie picture WALL·E in the concerned threads with a free picture.

see:

The picture is to half a traffic symbol and to the other half an another free picture!

And I have also add three new possible icons for the RIOT plugin!
                    See the following pictures and the attached zip files!

To create these icons I have used PhotoFiltre, some pictures (searched with Google) and a own painted magnifying glass!
                    But just a long time after my first answer I've understand what you say with "movie frame"!
                    Caused by this misunderstanding I have deleted all the WALL·E pictures in two threads!
                    That's why I've created also the second and the third picture on the right side!
                    What do yopu say to these three versions?
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by Frank; 27.10.2008, 07:15 PM. Reason: a misunderstanding concerning the "WALL·E" picture

Comment

Originally posted by luciansabo View Post
                      >>you can use the better Resize command in IrfanView
                      In what way better? It uses mainly the same algorythms and RIOT in addition includes the Catmull-Rom filter - the best interpolating cubic filter.
                      Speed is better in IrfanView but note that RIOT is also processing images, not just resizing them.
                      Maybe better is the wrong word. I mean it has more options for resizing. Speed is not really an issue considering how useful RIOT is. However, if someone knows they are going to resize for sure, I would use IrfanView for the speed advantage and extra options available. Catmull-Rom filter is unique to RIOT, but is not that important to me.

Comment

frank, I followed your ideea and created an icon for this button.
                        Your design is good in big size, but when resized (the icon I need is 32x32) it is hard to be understood.

What do you think about this?
                        Attached Files
                        RIOT developer

Comment

Hey Lucian, do you have any idea why this happens?

Comment

Originally posted by luciansabo View Post
                            Frank, I followed your idea and created an icon for this button.
                            Your design is good in big size, but when resized (the icon I need is 32x32) it is hard to be understood.

What do you think about this?
                            My opinion? Your idea is really good!
                            But there is something what you can make better:
                            • Make your used picture somewhat more multicolored! For instance add a going down sun!
                            • Use a somewhat larger magnifying glass!
                            • Take a darker frame for the front picture!
                            • The front and background picture must differ somewhat more!
                              Make the picture in the background brighter!
                              With PhotoFiltre it's possible to use the function transparency (and mix the background picture with the color white).
                            • With PhotoFiltre it's also possible to add some effects like unsharp picture effect or a magnifying glass effect!

In addition, it is important, what the other users of the RIOT plugin says!

PS: Could you add the option "add a frame" for the Optimized image"?

Comment

Adding frames isn't an objective of this program.
                              We should avoid a feature creep.

PS: the new icon is attached
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by luciansabo; 28.10.2008, 08:33 AM.
                              RIOT developer

Comment

Skippybox: I cannot reproduce your error. I don't understand your explanations.
                                RIOT developer

Comment

Working...
                                X