JPG Lossless-Crop needs a note/warning about unsaved edits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

JPG Lossless-Crop needs a note/warning about unsaved edits

I just figured out why sometimes the JPG Lossless-Crop plugin doesn't work correctly. I did an experiment to test a theory and confirmed that it doesn't work with images that have unsaved modifications. If you modify a file then use JPGLC without saving the file first, then it won't work as expected.

The JPGLC dialog does mention that it "uses the loaded/original JPG as input", but that doesn't clarify that any modifications won't be included. It's clear that's what it means after you're affected by the problem and experiment like I did, but most users probably won't make that connection at first and can be frustrated for a while before figuring it out. It's always good UI/UX to reduce ambiguity and make things clear to prevent errors.

The note in the dialog should mention "unsaved modifications", something like:

NOTE: any unsaved modifications will not be included in the resulting cropped file and can result in incorrect cropping Save any modifications before cropping..

Click image for larger version  Name:	JPG Lossless Crop dialog needs a note or warning about unsaved operations.png Views:	0 Size:	31.4 KB ID:	98227

If you want to make modifications then you can do a normal crop and a full save, and don't need this dialog. The process can't be lossless with other edits. Normal crop is not limited to an 8 pixel grid.

Comment

Working...
    X