Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cannot change red cat file (*.jpg etc) icon in Windows 7

Hi;

Just installed version 4.36 (but have had same problem with other recent versions) on a new HP computer running under Windows 7.

I cannot change the file icon from the red cat to (say) the panda. I have tried:

Options:
    Properties/Settings
    Extensions
    Icons (button)
    radio button (Panda)
    OK, OK.

Even after a reboot all image files associated with IrfanView have that annoying red cat icon.

If there is no menu solution, could someone tell me where the image is located so I can hack it?

Thanks
    Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 29.08.2013, 06:22 PM. Reason: Completed recipe

No. File icons are a System setting and in Windows 7 only Administrators can change them. If you want to do so you need to right click on the Irfanview shortcut icon and select Run as Administrator. You will then need to enter an administrator password (if you are not already logged on as one) and confirm that you want to allow Irfanview to make changes to the system. Then when Irfanview opens do what you described above and all the file icons should change to pandas or whatever.

The shortcut icons will not change though. You change those by right clicking the Irfanview shortcut and selecting Properties > Change Icon.

Comment

Originally posted by Mij View Post
      No. File icons are a System setting and in Windows 7 only Administrators can change them. If you want to do so you need to right click on the Irfanview shortcut icon and select Run as Administrator. You will then need to enter an administrator password (if you are not already logged on as one) and confirm that you want to allow Irfanview to make changes to the system. Then when Irfanview opens do what you described above and all the file icons should change to pandas or whatever.
      Thanks that worked ...

Maybe someone could change the FAQ ( http://www.irfanview.com/faq.htm#Q26 )

"Q: How can I change the icon for IrfanView associations?
      A: Go to Properties->Extensions and choose the Icons button. Here you can set other icon(s) for associated file types. "

to:

"Q: How can I change the icon for IrfanView associations?
      A: First start IrfanView in Administrator mode, then go to Properties->Extensions and choose the Icons button. Here you can set other icon(s) for associated file types."

Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
      X