X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

autoplay sd card open irfanview windows 10

message on behalf of my 96yo dad...

Using windows 10 home edition:
    When inserting an SD card into my card reader I want it to open Irfanview in Thumbnail view. This used to work in Windows 7, user could specify this action in Windows.

Windows 10 seems to have removed the option to choose apps other than a few basics. The option to "Choose app" allowing user to specify Irfanview is gone.

Can anyone suggest how I can make Windows 10/Irfanview this work this way?
    Any help/advice appreciated.

Thanks,
    Chris

P.S. Dad presently has File Association for jpeg set to open in Photoshop, which he wants to keep that way.

Sorry, I do not know how to do it but is it worth the effort? Microsoft seems to believe that no programs apart from their own are secure so I am pretty sure if you do find a way of AutoPlaying Irfanview thumbnails it will not be long until they issue a "security update" that stops it working again.

If I was preparing something for a 96 year old to use I would create a folder called Links to be left permanently on the desktop. In that would be shortcuts to all the programs he might want to use, including one for Irfanview thumbnails. Then all he needs to do after inserting an SD card is to double click the link to open IV thumbnails, scroll down to the bottom of the directory entries to find the drive that the SD card occupies and open that. If it is a built in card reader then the drive letter will probably be the same each time so you could rename the drive to something like "Photo cards" to make it easier for him to find.

If the camera pictures have EXIF data remember to check "Try to load EXIF -Thumbnail for JPG files" in the Thumbnail options. Makes them display much faster.

Comment

Thank you Mij. Unfortunately Dad's eyesight is really poor so he struggles to read menus etc. I'm looking for a more automated way he can download from his SD cards, but don't think it's doable sadly.
      Appreciate your time, thanks.
      Chris

Comment

Working...
      X