Menu Items Cut Off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Menu Items Cut Off

I am testing IrfanView but am having a problem with many of the menus and dialogs being cut off on the right side. For example if I try to edit the IPTC information about 1/3 of the right side of the dialog is missing.

I have adjusted screen resolution, fonts, etc. I have tested on five different workstations with identical results.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

http://www.aaronkuehn.net/Sample/ClippedWindows.jpg

The screenshot is typical of problems I have with other programs because of my font settings, but nothing I have done has ever affected that dialog. The font in the screenshot is much larger than in my window, which still uses its default size.

Is the font the same, or smaller, in your other IrfanView dialogs, and do you have any similar problems with other programs' non-resizable windows?

Windows version???
    Its: Belongs to "It"
    It's: Shortened form of "It is"
    ---------------------
    Lose: Fail to keep
    Loose: Not tight

---------------------
    Plurals do not require apostrophes

Comment

The fonts appear the same in all areas of the application. And I'm not having issues with other programs.

I'm on Windows XPPro Service Pack 2.

Comment

I have all normally tweakable fonts at 12 point or larger. I have not yet found anything that changes the IV dialog fonts, but I keep it in mind.
        Its: Belongs to "It"
        It's: Shortened form of "It is"
        ---------------------
        Lose: Fail to keep
        Loose: Not tight

---------------------
        Plurals do not require apostrophes

Comment

The standard font that is used in the IPTC-dialog is Arial Narrow 10 pt.
          If I were you, I would:
          ? make a copy of the installation folder of IrfanView,
          ? than I'd uninstall IrfanView
          ? and go to the copied folder and delete i_view32.ini
          Now you've got the ?portable? version of IrfanView. If this doesn't work, we go and puzzle our heads off for the next solution.

Comment

I uninstalled and used the "portable" method -- same problem.

I then uninstalled the Arial Narrow fonts, rebooted to make sure they were gone. Same problem. Reinstalled Arial Narrow fonts from another workstation (where IrfanView works correctly) -- problem continues.

I've attached a screenshot of the Arial Narrow fonts on my system in case there's a clue to be found.

Thanks!
            Attached Files

Comment

Try using this version of my IrfanView exe file. It's only IrfanView plus the plugin directory with the IPTC.dll. This version must show the default size font. It does on my Windows system. If it will not show on your system, I think it could be blamed on another application that uses the same adress to get some recources or libraries or routines. Couldn't you think of such an unreliable application that could disturb the working of your system? It has to be found in that direction in my opinion, because I never experienced this strange font setting. I even tested IrfanView from within my VMware Workstation but I couldn't produce your font bug at all

Comment

I see that you have great many fonts installed. Is "MS Sans Serif" (not Microsoft) present in your system? It probably is though, because I'm seeing it on your menu and titlebar. That windows installation of yours might need a skilled technical repair.

The font that's being used in the broken dialog box is System. In some cases windows uses this font if the requested one is not available.

The standard font that is used in the IPTC-dialog is Arial Narrow 10 pt.
                Since when? v4.00 dialog uses "MS Sans Serif".

Comment

Hello j7n. Did you really look into the dialog of IPTC? This font and the dialog is used from version 3.85.

Comment

Hello, Sjef.

Of course I did. A while ago I made a modification to use Tahoma font everywhere. This might be a solution for Aaron Kuehn. But it's an obsolete version now.

Comment

Well, I have to concede, you're right and I'm wrong. No doubt about that.
                      I've been too hasty in answering Aaron's question. Indeed he could try to change the font with Resource Hacker, but first he should look into his system. It's to assume there's something wrong in his fontdirectory.

Comment

Same problem with this version

I'm not sure I follow the other comments about the MS font -- is there a font you suggest I remove?

Thanks!

Comment

We came to conclusion that font settings of your computer have been set incorrectly. Unfortunately I can't tell from remote what exactly is wrong. Perhaps you are missing "MS Sans Serif" or it has become corrupted.

You claim to only have problems with IrfanView, which does not seem likely. Do any other windows display using that ugly black font?

Comment

Working...
                          X