Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any "Tagging" Experts Out There???

Hi everyone,

I'm looking to get started on a pretty big project and I'm counting on Irfanview to get me through it, but I need a little help.

I'm looking to scan all my photos for archival. After some reading, I have decided that I want to scan all photos to TIFF files to ensure I get a lossless file. I will be doing this using HP's software.

However, here's where I will need some help. After I've scanned them all in, I want to do a Batch Conversion using Irfanview to save them all into a different directory as JPEG files. This way, I can archive the original TIFF files but have the more "web-friendly" JPEGs at my disposal. The problem is, I want to add tags to the TIFFs and have them converted as part of the Batch Conversion.

After scanning a handful, I decided to test this to make sure that it carried over... it didn't.

I don't know much about how the EXIF, TIFF, XMP, etc, etc. standards go, but does anyone know a way that I can easily make this happen as part of the conversion?

Thanks in advance for your help!

-- Jim

I've seen very little number of software products capable of tagging graphics files. Unlike music (most formats) and video (Matroska) a standard for this was never established. JPEG itself has a single field for the title.

I've got a remark about the archival file format. You will get better compression by using PNG.

Comment

Thanks for the thought... I looked at PNG as an option, but someone had told me that that is more for web graphics (similar to GIFs).

It sounds like you're saying I won't be able to carry over the tags from one format to another?

-- Jim

Comment

Most tagging formats are proprietary, working only in the program that created them.

PNG is just a format. Unlike GIF it can store truecolor graphics. Whether you can use PNG depends on:
        - support in your software programs,
        - can you spend a lot of time encoding to PNG,
        - how expensive is storage space in your application,
        - if transmission speed is limited [such as CD or network].

You can expect 25% รท 60% compression on photorealistic data.

Comment

Working...
        X