X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hide program menu - help

Greetings,

I have attempted to do the following from the FAQ section:

Q: Advanced: Is there a trick to hide program menu and caption permanently, similar to toolbar and status bar?

A: Yes. In the INI file, write in section [Menu] Active=0 to hide menu, in section [Menu] Active=0, to hide the program title.

I located the ini file I entered the below at the end of the file and saved it.

[Menu]
    Active=0
    [Menu]
    Active=0

It did not work. I have tried several variations. I even rebooted computer. It's still there.

What is it that I do not know about how to do this?

Thank you, Dan

I believe the correct section for titlebar parameters is called Caption. The following lines indeed hide the menu and titlebar.

[Menu]
    Active=0

[Caption]
    Active=0

Maybe you have another occurence of [Menu] somewhere in the ini file? Completely wrong ini?

Comment

Hide program menu - help

I am editing the I_view32 configuration settings ini file.

There is no other [Menu] or [caption].

I have tried it at the top and the bottom.

Here is what I have;

[Language]
      DLL=ENGLISH
      Lang=English
      [JPEG]
      Load Grayscale=0
      ExifRotate=0
      [PhotoCD]
      Loading Size=3
      [MultiGIF]
      PlayAnimation=1
      UseSingleTrans=0
      [Viewing]
      UseICM=0
      ZoomFactor=10
      BackColor=0
      Dither24BPP=0
      EnableGamma=0
      GammaValue=1.00
      EnableBWGamma=1
      BWGamma=0.5
      ShowFullScreen=2
      WMult=100
      HMult=100
      TxtPos=0
      TxtAlign=0
      FSResample=1
      FSAlpha=0
      MultimonStretch=0
      ShowFullScreenName=1
      FullBackColor=0
      HideCursor=0
      FullText=$D$F $X
      TranspText=1
      FontColor=65280
      TxtBgkr=16777215
      FontParam=-13|0|0|0|400|0|0|0|0|1|2|1|49|
      Font=Courier
      [Others]
      ShowPNGAlpha=1
      ShowTGAAlpha=0
      PropPage=4
      [Toolbar]
      Skin=Samuel_16.png
      Size=16
      Flag=6145
      [Open]
      OpenIndex=1
      OpenDir=C:\Users\Pictures\
      [MRUD]
      Dir1=C:\Users\
      Dir2=
      Dir3=
      Dir4=
      Dir5=
      Dir6=
      Dir7=
      Dir8=
      Dir9=
      Dir10=
      [WinPosition]
      xKoord=0
      yKoord=0
      Width=495
      Height=366
      Maximized=1
      [Menu]
      Active=0
      [Caption]
      Active=0

THANKS, Dan

Comment

I don't really know the answer. Just now succssfully tested the setting in both v4.00 and v4.10. If you modify other settings in the ini, do they take effect?

Comment

I would not know what to try as far as ini changes.

You say it worked for you?

I am using ver 4.10.

Comment

It did. I could hide either the menu, the caption or both.

Last guess is that you have a super secure system and the real ini is being saved somewhere in the Windows directory. But I doubt it's the case.

I would not know what to try as far as ini changes.
            [JPEG]
            Load Grayscale=1

then load a JPEG and see if color is now gone.

Comment

I think you are on to something.

I tried setting the greyscale. It did nothing.

Where do I look for the real file?

Thanks for all your help.

Comment

So you located the setting, changed 0 to 1 and nothing. And IrfanView was closed at the moment when you saved the ini.

Do a search for "i_view32.ini"

Comment

This is strange.

I found 2 i_view32.ini

One was outside the program folder. The other was inside the program folder.
                  Both are exactly the same.

So I deleted everything Irfan I could find. Downloaded again and installed.
                  I looked and there was one ini file. I edited the file. Hit save. Now I have two again. Both are the same edited file.

Next I deleted both files. The program works fine without the ini files!

Is there a setting to tell the program to look at the ini file?
                  I did a search on the whole c: drive I think I have found them all.

Is there a certain place where the ini needs to beto be seen?

In the twilight zone...

thanks,
                  dan

Comment

Vista?

The program will look at the ini file, but which one it looks at and which one can be written to may depend on the whims of Micro$not and other bad things.

When you first install, there is almost nothing in the ini file. It grows as you change default settings. That is my experience, anyway. You probably have to change the permissions on the original one, the ini in the program's folder, in order to make changes that stay.

It is often best to install outside of the Program Files directory to avoid permission problems. It's easier to manage things in directories that are not special to Windows.
                    Its: Belongs to "It"
                    It's: Shortened form of "It is"
                    ---------------------
                    Lose: Fail to keep
                    Loose: Not tight

---------------------
                    Plurals do not require apostrophes

Comment

Hi Dan,

Originally posted by Dan View Post
                      Where do I look for the real file?
                      Originally posted by matera View Post
                      Vista?
                      After searching to answer your question, I had to guess you are probably using Vista. I am not using Vista, and I can't help much, but I believe the place where ini files are saved are not the same as with previous versions. Some Vista related problems have been discussed here. You can find them using the search tool.

Much time can be saved if you first fill-in your profile (see signature). Thanks.

Laurent
                      Before you post ... fill in your OS and IV version in your profile.

Comment

You guessed right it is vista.

I did not realize that on my search for more copies of the ini file that I did not have the check hidden areas box checked. It is amazing what you can see once you put your glasses on!

I found another file buried in the user\dataapps\whatevertheheck location.

I deleted it and believe I am now clean of Irfanview everywhere.

My plan is to start over from the beginning and then edit that file if it creates another.

You mentioned not installing in the programs folder.
                        Do you suggest I do the new install in my pictures folder or something?

By the way (and I am not a fanatic), I like vista. I have it on my Toshiba notebook. I disabled the cosmetic stuff that slows it down. I have a dual core processor, 3 gig of ram and I use a 4gig flash drive for Readyboost. It is extremely fast. I can run as many programs as I can keep up with at one time. It never hangs up or has errors.My Mac friends are all amazed and their lips are now silent!

Thank you all for your help. Possibly all the governments of the world could all get along better if they just spent some time helping each other in a forum. It might work, once we get a new president. My apologies for our current one. He does not do anything I tell him to do..

Dan

Comment

Program Files (do they still have a space in this directory name?) usually contains lots of system components. I found it's best to keep my own programs in another directory to keep the computer better organized.

C: only the operating system, can be reinstalled if need be without touching anything else.
                          D: programs and games.
                          E: {S:} swap file.
                          FGHIJKLMN: documents, music, video.
                          VWXYZ: removable drives.

Comment

You guessed right it is vista.
                            Dan
                            We do not all agree on this matter. You can find a recent discussion on the subject here http://en.irfanview-forum.de/vb/showthread.php?t=2151

Returning to your original question though, if you launch Irfanview from a shortcut, then it might be easier to just add a /hide option to the end of the command line. You can hide any combination of menu, caption, status or tool bars that way. Look at Command Line Options in the Help menu for the details.

Comment

Working...
                            X