Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

need help with a batch copy/rename conversion

Here's the dealio.
    My music collection is structured with folders for each artist and subfolders for each cd.
    In each sub folder is a .jpg named the same as the folder.

Well, for the one particular jukebox program I was messing with this was fine for displaying my cover art.

However, for some other programs I am messing with they want the artwork to be named 'folder.jpg'.

So what I want to do is this.

I want to keep my original named files. I want to create a copy of each one named folder.jpg in the same folder.

So there will be 2 identical art files in each folder but with different names.
    I am pretty certain that this can be done with irfanview but I can not quite figure it out.

I pull up the batch conversion window.
    I select all the folders (dummy ones for testing) and all the files.

On the top left is a 'work as' area. with
    Batch Conversion
    Batch rename
    Batch rename - Rename result files (I think this is the one I need to select.

Below that is a Batch rename settings:
    Name pattern:
    This is where I can't figure out what commands to use...

Can someone help me out here?
    Attached Files

No help?
    Can this even be done?

Actually I figured out a way to not worry about preserving the old files.

How can I simply rename the 500 or so files to 'folder.jpg' that are all in different folders while leaving them in the same folder.

Comment

Originally posted by huttdes View Post
      Can this even be done?

Actually I figured out a way to not worry about preserving the old files.

How can I simply rename the 500 or so files to 'folder.jpg' that are all in different folders while leaving them in the same folder.
      If you don't have to worry about preserving the original files it should be quite easy.

Work as: Batch rename
      Name pattern: folder
      Options>Rename original/input files

However, to preserve the original files would be far more complicated. I'm assuming it is not possible in IrfanView.

Comment

Yeah, I got her running, thanks. I would like to know if my original question was possible though...

Comment

Well, I think a jukebox programs fixed on a single 'folder.jog' file sucks in the first place..
          Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

Originally posted by Sam_Zen View Post
            Well, I think a jukebox programs fixed on a single 'folder.jog' file sucks in the first place..
            I agree with you 100%!!!

I am just having trouble finding a really good one that I like.
            The one I was doing this for is called albumplayer
            It's default is folder.jpg but it can be any name...as long as they are all the same which equally sucks. As you can see from my original post I have them named properly for each cd.

Another one I am messing with is called freebox which can get around this.

Any suggestions for a jukebox software that resembles the kind you see in bars?

Comment

I would suggest XMPlay, probably the most versatile audio-player around. http://www.un4seen.com/
              Integrate the 'cover-art' plugin. And XMPlay will search for any *.jpg in the folder, to show as cover during playing.
              Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

That's great for what it is but not what I am looking for.

I am looking for a 'jukebox' style software.
                Like you would see in a bar.

I plan on putting up a touchscreen monitor to use as the interface.
                Take a look at these to see what I mean....

AlbumPlayer: Jukebox style music player to listen and watch your own collected audio and video.

Comment

Workaround

Originally posted by huttdes View Post
                  Yeah, I got her running, thanks. I would like to know if my original question was possible though...
                  Yes, it is. Very few programs make it possible though. I have two possible solutions for you. Read about them at the bottom of Duplicating Files. Enjoy.

Comment

Batch File

If you want, you can rename all your files in one step using a batch file. You just need to use for each file, the format:

COPY source destination

However, for hundreds of files, it is more complex. You will most likely need Excel or Calc to create the commands.

So, collect the names of the files you want to batch rename, and save their full paths to a txt file. Since you just want to do your JPGs, I would in IrfanView:
                    1. Use Search Files (CTRL+F) to locate the JPGs
                    2. Show all in Thumbnails
                    3. Select all thumbnails
                    4. File>Save selected file names as TXT

The files in your txt file will look something like this:

D:\testing\3 Doors Down\The Better Life\The Better Life.jpg

Then, copy the file list from the text file into Excel or Calc, and make formulas creating the batch commands you will use to build your batch file. You should end up with something like this:

copy "D:\testing\3 Doors Down\The Better Life\The Better Life.jpg" "D:\testing\3 Doors Down\The Better Life\folder.jpg"

Copy all those commands out of Excel or Calc into a text editor, and save it as a batch file. Then, double-click your batch file and all the files will be copied and renamed.

If you have trouble coming up with the formulas or don't have Excel or Calc, I wouldn't mind producing the .bat file for you. Just upload your txt file.

You could also try this batch file.
                    Last edited by Skippybox; 26.09.2008, 03:47 PM. Reason: Added support for Calc, updated w/ batch

Comment

This may be the best yet

Someone has come up with a good solution for you, since I believe all your files are contained in a common parent folder. Read about the Workaround. This solution may prove easier than the other solutions I have suggested. Compare them and decide for yourself. Feel free to respond with any questions.

Comment

Working...
                      X