Newbie Needs Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbie Needs Help

I am sure this is very simple for you guys but I am new at this. I have a very basic picture (attached) I want to edit. I want to get rid of the empty space and then copy and paste it into OpenOffice Draw. I have tried to crop it but it seems to save the part I want to delete. Like I said I am sure this is very simple but I just can't figure it out. Thanks for any help.
    Attached Files

You just want to crop the borders? Did you use Crop selection? What are you having difficulty with exactly? Can you explain further?

Comment

Are you trying to trim all the white space from the edges? You realize your image can only be rectangular, so because the lines in your drawing aren't, there will be some white space left even if you crop.

Comment

Ah ok I didn't know that. I will do it another way then. Thank you.

Comment

Need your image to look different than this?

Can I still help you with what you want to do?
          Attached Files

Comment

I am making a form in Openoffice to store setup data from our races. I want to put this picture in the form but I do not want all the white spaces in it. I can prolly figure out how to do it. I am new to this stuff and just trying to learn.

Comment

Ahh. You could make it transparent. Your image is a bit dirty though. I would reduce it to black and white first, then save it as a transparent PNG. Select the white part as the transparent color. Ask again if you need help finding these features.

Comment

Is this acceptable?
                Attached Files

Comment

Well I tried to find it myself before asking but yes please tell me how to change to black and white.

Comment

Image>Decrease color depth.

Did you try the attachment? Does it work the way you want?

Comment

We must have posted at about the same time. I just saw it and when I pasted it it did the same as before. I would attach the file I am putting it in but it is a openoffice file and it wont let me. I will work with it a little later tonight and see what I can come up with. Thanks for all the help.

Comment

What do you mean it did the same as before?

Comment

I have a yellow background in my form and when I pasted it the white was still visible. I have to leave right now but when I can I will post a picture.

Comment

Ok, you can go. If you have to, you can put your OpenOffice document in a zip folder to upload. Make sure you used my most recent attachment, Transparent.png.
                            Last edited by Skippybox; 23.09.2008, 09:52 PM.

Comment

I just tried my transparent image in OpenOffice Writer with a red background and it has no white in it. It is transparent. I'm not sure what you did. Did you save my image as a PNG first before inserting it. You can't copy it into the program from the web or it will look wrong.

If you need to verify it, view it in IrfanView with a different background color than white or black. You'll see the background color right through my image where the white used to be.
                              Last edited by Skippybox; 23.09.2008, 09:02 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X