Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Screen Rotation + Full Screen View

Hi,
    First of all, want to say thanks so much for the great program. Sent an e-mail ages ago asking for some features (resample+some others) and all were greatly implemented! And now unicode support, it just gets better.

Using Windows XP SP2, Irfanview v4.20 and Nvidia's latest official drivers (178.13). Had the same problem in 4.00.

Anyway, I have a BenQ LCD screen which you can rotate. When I rotate it 90 degrees, then set in NVidia options to rotate the screen, everything's fine. But when I open images up in IrfanView, in full-screen, the "Fit to Screen: All images/movies" option doesn't work as it should. For some reason, it stretches only to the vertical plane, ie, images which are too big horizontally, I have to scroll right-left. And fit to height wasn't selected.

Anyone know why?
    Thanks!

qaz
    Last edited by qazman; 29.09.2008, 11:45 AM.

What happens in window mode? How does fullscreen behave when you cycle through the display modes using 1-6?

Comment

Window mode is normal, fine. The other fullscreen display modes work fine as well.

To be honest, I could just use "Fit to Width", since that's how "Fit to Screen" should've interpreted those images as, rather than to height, since the width would then go off screen. But it just means I have to change back and forth from "Fit to Screen" and "Fit to Width" as a rotate my screen each time.

I'm viewing manga/comics btw.

Don't know if I'm clear on my problem, but hopefully you understand. Thanks for the reply!

Comment

Actually, I don't understand. If your display is in the normal position your comics are sideways, but when you turn the display 90 degrees, they are upright? But, you want the normally horizontal side to be interpreted as a vertical and vice-versa?

It sounds like a bug (although I can't be sure), since it should fit no matter how the screen is tilted. There probably is nothing you can do except use key 5 "Fit to Width" for this situation, which wouldn't disturb your "Fit to Screen" setting. It will be persistent as you browse though, until you change it. How often do you do this? Do you have to set in the NVidia options everytime you rotate the screen?

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.
        Last edited by Skippybox; 30.09.2008, 04:30 PM.

Comment

No no, when my display is in the normal position, the comics are upright too, but as expected, the pages hardly fill the screen since it's widescreen and comic pages are...dunno, longscreen or whatever, the opposite basically.

So when I tilt my display 90 degrees, I change the Nvidia settings (have to do it every time). Basically it just changes the resolution from 1920x1200 to 1200x1920.

Anyway, I've attached screenshots of images of a comic page (all full screen in Irfanview) to hopefully clarify.
          Image 1: Fit to screen - Display tilted 90 degrees
          Image 2: Fit to width - Display tilted 90 degrees
          Image 3: Fit to screen - Display normal

Image 1 should be the same as Image 2. Image 1 has a bit cut off to the right of the image (you can see from the paint brush). Doesn't matter so much in that image maybe, but plenty of times text is cut off.

Anyway, telling me about pressing 1,2,3,4,5,6 for the different view settings has already helped, makes it more convenient, enough so that I don't mind about the problem anymore. Thanks!
          Attached Files

Comment

Thanks, I totally get it now. Unfortunately, I don't know why it won't work. It seems like it should work very easily if only the resolution is changing. Does this problem present itself in any other program? While the problem could be with Nvidia, I think IrfanView is still probably at fault here because all the other modes work as they should. For only one mode to fail, it is funny.

Remember you don't have to use the numbers sequentially and you can use key F to cycle, too. You can't use the number pad though.

Are all the comics larger than the screen? Why not use key 2 which is like key 3? Also, if you hide all the toolbars in window mode, it would be similar to fullscreen. In fact, if you wanted, you could set up a shortcut with some alternative settings to view these comics, while using a regular shortcut for other stuff.

Sorry if I couldn't be of better help.

Comment

Yeah, I thought it was a bit weird too. What I did before was mass rotate the images, rotate the screen without using Nvidia's rotate, and that was ok, but you can understand why I didn't want to continue doing that.

Not all comics but certainly the majority are larger than the screen, but only when in "Fit to Screen" mode. The actual images, mostly, are smaller than the screen. Otherwise I would use key 2.

I hide all the toolbars anyway, but resizing to fit the whole window would prob be less convenient that key press, so I think that's probably the best solution right now. Main thing was that it was inconvenient to go to options and change it each time I rotated the screen, but it's not so inconvenient any more.

No big deal, you helped in the end, I don't think it'll be something that'll be fixed in the future, since it's not really a big thing, but thanks anyway!

Comment

You're welcome!

You can press key P in fullscreen to change options, BTW.

You might like the separate shortcut idea, since you can use a different INI.

Comment

Working...
                X