Thumbnail viewer start folder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thumbnail viewer start folder

Been trying to get the Irfanview thumbnail viewer to start up in a specific folder - i.e. the My Pictures folder. I can't find a setting within the viewer to set that, and configuring the launch shortcut to start in that folder doesn't seem to happen either. I know I can work through to the place I want, but it's a bit of a pest when it would be so much easier to have it just start up there every time. I never use it in any other folders anyway. Is there a setting or start shortcut extension that will do that for me please? Many thanks from a relative newbie.

Quite easy, you have many routes. Easiest way would be to change your program start folder in Properties>Misc. 2 to a specific folder like My Pictures. Or you could use last folder since you say you always use that folder, but that likely will not be true.

Another setting you can change is Add "Browse with IrfanView" for Drives and Folders to shell menu at the bottom of Properties>Extensions. This will let you open Thumbnails in any folder that you right-click and choose "Browse with IrfanView". For instance, you could go to Start>My Pictures and choose the command from the context menu when you right-click it. Likewise, you could use the "Send to" option, which will open an image in IrfanView, allowing you to have access to that folder upon clicking thumbnails.

Similarly, you could modify your shortcut like you mentioned, by typing in the folder path, usually in quotes, after the Irfanview path separated by a space. This will open the first image, like Send to, after which you can click thumbnails to open its directory. If you do it to your Thumbnail shortcut, it will just open Thumbnails in that folder. You might also try dragging-n-dropping a folder right in the IrfanView window to open the first image and thumbnails at the same time.

Another thing you can do is make a batch file, allowing you to drag-n-drop a folder on a shortcut. Either drop the folder on the batch file, or drop it on a shortcut you make to it.

Code:
    "C:\Program Files\IrfanView\i_view32.exe" %1 /thumbs
    Exit
    Or

Code:
    "%HOMEDRIVE%%HOMEPATH%\Desktop\IrfanView.lnk" %1 /thumbs
    Change it as you need for your setup.
    Last edited by Skippybox; 17.11.2008, 05:07 PM.

Comment

Hmmmm. Now that's what I call a comprehensive reply, and incredibly helpful. I've chosen the first option, since I tried it and it simply did exactly what I needed. So the thumbnail viewer is not quite as separate a program as I had assumed. I never thought setting an option in the main program would affect the viewer.

So I have got it exactly as I wanted, and learnt something valuable about the program, thanks to a very helpful reply.

I have used Irfanview for years actually, but never really got into it in any detail before. Now that I have a digital camera, and several hundred images (and rapidly growing), I have tried Picasa, Faststone, Xnview, and a whole raft of other lesser known similar programs. And I reckon Irfanview is the most universal of the lot, especially in its ability to work with IPTC data, JPEG comments, and so on.

My grateful thanks, Peter

Comment

Originally posted by peterballantyne View Post
        So the thumbnail viewer is not quite as separate a program as I had assumed. I never thought setting an option in the main program would affect the viewer.
        They are closely linked. They are not separate programs, although they behave as such. The fact that thumbnails is a switch for the i_view32.exe indicates this. They also respond to the same shortcuts and can be easily swapped using TAB. Many functions call each other both ways, too.

Despite their settings being generally independent, you can tell they are linked. An image in the viewer will usually be part of a directory. Clicking Thumbnails on the toolbar or menu, or using the hotkey will automatically load that directory. Sorting is also generally synced between the two as well. Many of the settings are intertwined on Properties, like what files will be browsed and how the program should close.

So I have got it exactly as I wanted, and learnt something valuable about the program, thanks to a very helpful reply.
        Glad to help!

I have used Irfanview for years actually, but never really got into it in any detail before. I have tried Picasa, Faststone, Xnview, and a whole raft of other lesser known similar programs. And I reckon Irfanview is the most universal of the lot, especially in its ability to work with IPTC data, JPEG comments, and so on.
        IrfanView is quite unique and definitely very versatile. There really is nothing quite like it. Can't say it does everything though. Sometimes those other programs do a few things better when you need them, but you always come back to IrfanView.

Comment

Working...
        X