Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Batch conversion from PNG to JPG -> Black Background?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Batch conversion from PNG to JPG -> Black Background?

Hi there,

I have a problem with Irfanview, and i hope you can help me. I want to save PNGs with a transparent background to JPG via batch conversion. I want the transparent part to be white after the conversion.

When i save the PNG with "save as" and choose JPG, it uses the IV background color (whatever it is) instead of the transparent background. But if i do it by batch conversion, IV always uses black as the background color. I have thoroughly checked the options but didn't find a solution...

Is there a way to tell IV which color to choose as background in a transparent PNG? Or am i doomed to manually saving the JPGs?

thx in advance

DolAtoR

Originally posted by DolAtoR View Post
    When i save the PNG with "save as" and choose JPG, it uses the IV background color (whatever it is) instead of the transparent background. But if i do it by batch conversion, IV always uses black as the background color.
    Looks like you've run into one of the limitations of IrfanView.

Is there a way to tell IV which color to choose as background in a transparent PNG? Or am i doomed to manually saving the JPGs?
    I don't think so. You aren't doomed necessarily.

If you are lucky and your images are less than 800x800, you could use the thumbnail window. Change IrfanView's background to white and if you want, the thumbnail background as well. Select the thumbnails you want and choose Save selected thumbs as single images. After which, if need be, you can batch crop any areas that you don't need from the thumbnail.

If the images are larger than that, then you could do an automatic/manual screen capture as you browse, quickly automatically saving the images from IrfanView's window or fullscreen, to files.

If the images are still bigger, you'd better find another way or save manually, like you say.

IMO, the easiest way would be the command line, which is like Save. You can convert in batch several files, or particular ones using a file list. The background color is whatever you chose in settings.
    Last edited by Skippybox; 16.03.2009, 10:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Skippybox View Post
      Looks like you've run into one of the limitations of IrfanView.

I don't think so. You aren't doomed necessarily.

If you are lucky and your images are less than 800x800, you could use the thumbnail window. Change IrfanView's background to white and if you want, the thumbnail background as well. Select the thumbnails you want and choose Save selected thumbs as single images. After which, if need be, you can batch crop any areas that you don't need from the thumbnail.

If the images are larger than that, then you could do an automatic/manual screen capture as you browse, quickly automatically saving the images from IrfanView's window or fullscreen, to files.

If the images are still bigger, you'd better find another way or save manually, like you say.
      thx for the response, that is a workaround I wouldn't have imagined! Great!

Comment

Working...
      X