prevent Irfanview from trying to play/display all files in a directory

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

prevent Irfanview from trying to play/display all files in a directory

How to prevent Irfanview from trying to play/display all files in a directory?
    (Note: I may have solved this myself, see below... )
    Irfanview 4.20, Win XP Pro SP3, Dell Vostro 200.

What I want: Irfanview to limit display to only the graphic files in a directory of mixed media (pics, audio, webpages, text, etc).
    What happens now: I start Irfanview (recently reinstalled fresh) by double-clicking an image in a directory, use right arrow key or button to go to next image, then (eventually) it gets to an mp3 file which I DON'T want Irfanview to play, but it comes up with a warning stating that I have not downloaded the mp3 player plugin.
    I have intentionally not downloaded any plugins.
    I have not assigned any audio file extension association to Irfanview.
    Only file associations to irfanview are: ani,gif,ico,jpg/jpeg,jp2,png.

I have searched forum for "prevent mp3", no hits. Searched google for same, not much help. Have viewed homepage.ntlworld.com/pesala/Irfan View/ -- which, BTW is very helpful, Thx -- but does not tell me how to limit or prevent irfanview from trying to show/display/play every filetype.

A Possible Solution I have come up with, but cumbersome:

I found the Settings:Extensions: Load types while moving through directory. It was at the default install set to Load Default extensions of about 80 or 100 different types, not in any order, no easy way to view or edit or find what these are.
    I selected/copied the list to text editor, viewed contents, and removed what I know (or think i do) are audio/video file types. Is there an easier way than this?

Note: The IV Help:Props:Exts file states "easily delete unwanted browse extensions" -- No, it is NOT easy actually, when there are a hundred in no particular order, with most users having to cursor through a tiny text line window. Too easy to miss some, too easy to delete too much.

My Offer (since i find the IV app helpful):
    If it would be usefule to you, I could, in my spare time, create a list of extension and definitions, which I would hope that you-all could then either pin-post to this forum, or perhaps add to the help files.
    I might even be convinced to re-order it alpha...
    I also have some thoughts on how to enhance that section...

I suppose I could have selected the "Images Only" File extension association, but I did not want Irfanview to grab every conceivable type. And still not sure that would have prevented it from trying to display/play the mp3s, since the default setup was the second radio-button of load all default file types. ('course, had I done that, i might have missed this adventure...

List of Default Extensions setting: JPG|JPEG|JPE|GIF|BMP|DIB|TIF|TIFF|PNG|PCX|TGA|PCD| SUN|RAS|ICO|AVI|IFF|PPM|PGM|PBM|LBM|WMF|EMF|WAV|PS D|MPG|MPE|MPEG|MID|RMI|MOV|CUR|ANI|DCX|EPS|CLP|LWF |LDF|CAM|G3|AIF|AU|SND|PSP|PSPIMAGE|ICL|SFW|KDC|RA |MP3|DCM|ACR|FPX|XBM|XPM|DJVU|SWF|FLV|IMG|IW44|WBM P|SGI|RGB|RLE|MED|RLE|SFF|NLM|NOL|NGG|GSM|JP2|JPC| J2K|JPF|FSH|CRW|B3D|WMA|WMV|TTF|SID|MNG|JNG|RAW|EC W|ASF|TXT|WAD|ICS|IDS|CDR|CMX|NEF|ERF|ORF|RAF|MRW| DCR|X3F|SRF|ARW|PEF|OGG|DWG|DXF|DDS|JPM|PLT|CR2|DN G|PS|PDF|CGM|SVG|HDR|FITS|HDP|WDP|EXR|

MY LIMITED set by Deleting: avi,wmf,wav,mpg,mpe,mpeg,mid,mov,aif,au,snd,ra,mp3 ,swf,flv,wma,wmv,ogg.
    JPG|JPEG|JPE|GIF|BMP|DIB|TIF|TIFF|PNG|PCX|TGA|PCD| SUN|RAS|ICO|IFF|PPM|PGM|PBM|LBM|EMF|PSD|RMI|CUR|AN I|DCX|EPS|CLP|LWF|LDF|CAM|G3|PSP|PSPIMAGE|ICL|SFW| KDC|DCM|ACR|FPX|XBM|XPM|DJVU|IMG|IW44|WBMP|SGI|RGB |RLE|MED|RLE|SFF|NLM|NOL|NGG|GSM|JP2|JPC|J2K|JPF|F SH|CRW|B3D|TTF|SID|MNG|JNG|RAW|ECW|ASF|TXT|WAD|ICS |IDS|CDR|CMX|NEF|ERF|ORF|RAF|MRW|DCR|X3F|SRF|ARW|P EF|DWG|DXF|DDS|JPM|PLT|CR2|DNG|PS|PDF|CGM|SVG|HDR| FITS|HDP|WDP|EXR|
    (which i see, btw, is now stored into the INI file)

Thank you for help.
    let me know if you wish to take me up on my offer.
    Best,
    Life is intelligent and friendly

Agreeably, editing this list is not easy in or out of the dialog. You're right that there should be some better choices for this box, as there are for associations (like images only). Still, without much room in the dialog (unless a major interface change is made) the current small box is very efficient. Additionally, more options have been proposed for this area, like save types.

If you want you could choose Load only associated types while moving through directory, which will give you the few you want associated (ani,gif,ico,jpg/jpeg,jp2,png).

You are also free to delete the whole list or create a new one with any supported extensions in your own order. An empty list would prevent any browsing of a directory and a new one would allow you to easily start from scratch.

If you truly want all image types, then you have little choice but to edit the gigantic list. However, you could use IrfanView's other features. You can use search or filters to browse only the types you want to during your session. You can also sort by extension. Using thumbnails in conjunction with the viewer can help.

Comment

Actually it's easier than that, really!

This might sound funny but it's what really happens.
      I've been irritated with this particular IV feature for quite some time (since I reinstalled Win2k on this box months ago) but too lazy to figure out how. Today I can't stand it no more so I googled and land here. To my surprise your post is quite new and I wonder aren't there others who asked the same question?

So I tried to follow your way, and I stumbled upon something to my surprise:
      Under [Extensions] just below what you posted there's one line:
      UseAssociatedOnly=0
      Change 0 to 1 and voila!
      It sits there probably for years and I never, ever saw that.

Btw, I used almost the same assoc. as you (images only). Roughly what I remember during setup: Click Images only, then unselect CUR, ICO, ICL, TTF, SWF.

Comment

Working...
      X