Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IrfanView 4.2 error: Windows cannot access

Hello everyone,

I had did a fresh reinstall of XP. Before the reinstall, I never had any errors like this before. After the reinstalling, I updated my system. I installed with XP Pro SP2. I got all the updates and SP3. While trying to install IrfanView, I get an Windows cannot error. I will post the error below. I can't post a screen shot because I can't think of any other tools. I like IrfanView. How do I fix the error.

Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item.

Can you explain more about when the error message is received after what action? Where is the EXE and where are you installing? Do you have the appropriate permissions? Are you an administrator?

You can always do a ZIP install if you can't determine the permission problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Skippybox View Post
      Can you explain more about when the error message is received after what action? Where is the EXE and where are you installing? Do you have the appropriate permissions? Are you an administrator?

You can always do a ZIP install if you can't determine the permission problem.
      It started after Microsoft updates. After I posted this thread. I read it's with everyone who updates. It's a new thing with Microsoft. I didn't know that before/while making this thread. The EXE is on my desktop. I am trying to install to Program Files on the C drive. I do have the permissions. I am the administrator.

Comment

So does the installation ever load? I don't have any experience with SP3 problems, so maybe someone else can advise. Does the silent install fail as well?

Definitely go with the ZIP if you can't escape MS issues.
        Last edited by Skippybox; 10.12.2008, 07:07 PM.

Comment

It won't even load. I get the error as soon as I click on the EXE. I also have a thread into a Windows forum. I have an email about this problem into a computer person. I never had this problem before. It's with mostly all my EXE files.

What is the silent install?

Comment

Originally posted by php111 View Post
            It won't even load. I get the error as soon as I click on the EXE. I also have a thread into a Windows forum. I have an email about this problem into a computer person. I never had this problem before. It's with mostly all my EXE files.
            If most EXE's are failing then you should fix the Windows problem first. This is not really an IV problem. Which EXE's aren't failing?

What is the silent install?
            Silent install runs the EXE in command line mode with parameters and no installer. You could try it, but it sounds like it won't work if all EXE's are failing. Read the second from last question here. Best thing is to maybe use the ZIP, but also get to the root of the real problem preventing your installs.

Hope someone can rectify your OS issues.
            Last edited by Skippybox; 12.12.2008, 03:16 AM.

Comment

Working...
            X