Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Batch create thumbs

Hi!

I have a lot of images in different folders and I want to create thumbs from all of them, and have 2 problems I hope someone here can work out...

1: I've tried to get the program to store the thumbs in a sub folder with the same name as the sub folder the original images where found... but no luck so fare. Maybe this explain it better:
    Input : "D:\Images\Images - 01\Image - 01.jpg"
    Output : "D:\Thumbs\Images - 01\Image - 01_tmb.jpg"

In "Batch conversion":
    - "Batch rename settings, Name pattern:" = "$d\$N_tmb"
    - "Output directory for result files:" = "D:\Thumbs\"
    Result: "Error! Can't save: D:\Thumbs\Images - 01\Image - 01_tmb.jpg"

No folder and no images has been created. Without the "$d" the images are created, but no folder of course
    I've tried the option "Create sub folders in destination folder", which create the folder structure "D:\Thumbs\Images\Images - 01\" - one extra folder ( in this example"-)

2: I would like to have the thumbs to be square-shaped, e.g. 100x100px with the "unused" part of the canvas in black ( or another colour ) Something similar to what you get from "Save selected thumbs as single images..." in "Thumbnails" - but that's not at batch process - or maybe I've missed something...

Originally posted by Senior47 View Post
    1: I've tried to get the program to store the thumbs in a sub folder with the same name as the sub folder the original images where found...
    It is difficult to strip a path to a single subfolder. This is something that needs a script, but I bet that it is difficult to write. If you can, it would be best to simply copy the files first. Otherwise, you may want to build custom copy commands from a list of your subfolders using a spreadsheet formula.

In "Batch conversion":
    - "Batch rename settings, Name pattern:" = "$d\$N_tmb"
    - "Output directory for result files:" = "D:\Thumbs\"
    Result: "Error! Can't save: D:\Thumbs\Images - 01\Image - 01_tmb.jpg"

No folder and no images has been created. Without the "$d" the images are created, but no folder of course
    Common problem. You can't use this pattern (despite its usefullness!) to make folders, though.

I've tried the option "Create sub folders in destination folder", which create the folder structure "D:\Thumbs\Images\Images - 01\" - one extra folder ( in this example"-)
    This is a good option, but it will preserve the entire hierarchy unfortunately. Do you really have so many folders that you can't move the subfolders?

2: I would like to have the thumbs to be square-shaped, e.g. 100x100px with the "unused" part of the canvas in black ( or another colour ) Something similar to what you get from "Save selected thumbs as single images..." in "Thumbnails" - but that's not at batch process - or maybe I've missed something...
    Save selected thumbs is a great option, but not very advanced. You could make your own square thumbnails, but the canvas would not be even side-to-side in batch. Basically, you need to resize, add extra canvas, then crop, which would be a two-step process in batch.

Other programs may solve these problems if you're lucky.
    Last edited by Skippybox; 13.01.2009, 10:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Senior47 View Post
      I would like to have the thumbs to be square-shaped, e.g. 100x100px with the "unused" part of the canvas in black ( or another colour ) Something similar to what you get from "Save selected thumbs as single images..." in "Thumbnails" - but that's not at batch process - or maybe I've missed something...
      You could try in Thumbnails, File>Create contact sheet from selected files. There are many options allowing you to specify the size and display of your images in a square. And you can save each page as an image. Might just be what you are looking for.

Comment

Working...
      X