Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Plugins 4.22 won't install (for 4.23 app)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plugins 4.22 won't install (for 4.23 app)

I installed IrfanView ver 4.23 on my 1.7GHz HP laptop with AMD Athlon TK-53 dual core processor, 2GB RAM and 120GB HD, running Vista Home Premium on dialup modem. All went fine with that install.

Next I downloaded the ver 4.22 plugins for my freshly installed ver 4.23 program, but a second after I hit the Install button it said "Install was Successful". It was much too quick and nothing seemed to happen.

Sure enough, then a "Program Compatibility Assistant" window popped up saying: "This program might not have installed correctly. If this program didn't install correctly, try reinstalling using settings that are compatible with this version of Windows."

Click on one of following two options:
    "Reinstall using recommended settings", or "This program installed correctly".

I clicked to let it reinstall with the automatically set "recommended settings" (vs. hitting "Program installed successfully" to cancel the reinstall), and the same thing happened again - it took no time at all and said it was installed, with no progress bar, no indication, no TIME!

In fact, it did NOT install, as the plug-ins are greyed-out in my Irfanview program.

In the related Help file, I found that:
    "The Program Compatibility Assistant detects known compatibility issues in older programs. After you have run an older program in this version of Windows, it notifies you if there is a problem and offers to fix it the next time you run the program. If the compatibility issue is serious, the Program Compatibility Assistant might warn you or block the program from running. If that happens, you'll have the option to check online for possible solutions."

What should I do now? I'd really like the plugins, esp for the lossless rotation and crop features, something I do quite often and have been looking for.

Thanks for any ideas, help, suggestions anyone might have out there --

joanne.

Btw, do I need to hold onto the humongous Activation ID number issued to me in an email soon after I enrolled in this forum? I never even needed to insert it anywhere...?.....
    Last edited by joportnoy; 17.01.2009, 05:01 PM.

hm. I'm not sure about this.
    I suppose you did the default install of 4.23, so IrfanView is in the Program Files directory.
    Check if there's a 'plugins' subdirectory, and if so, if there are any files in it.
    Another problem could be the location of the INI-file of a previously installed IrfanView version.
    Maybe you should try to do it all over again, including a new install of 4.23, probably in another directory of your choice. And make sure the ini-file is placed there as well.
    Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

Not sure what happened either, but you can always get the ZIP package. Either download the complete one, or the 4 separate ones, plus any updates. Extract the plugins to your Plugins folder in the IrfanView folder. This should be easy and get you going quick.

Originally posted by joportnoy View Post
      Btw, do I need to hold onto the humongous Activation ID number issued to me in an email soon after I enrolled in this forum? I never even needed to insert it anywhere...?.....
      I believe in the email it says that you need it if the special activation link doesn't work. In that case, you would have entered it here, as the email describes.

Comment

Working...
      X