Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting red boxes on most pics

Hi

I have been getting just red boxes on these images, kinda strangleyt named by Ifran view i guess:
    Under the General Tab:guaranteed_rev.jpg
    Type: IrfanView GIF File
    address: http://ads.yimg.com/a/a/ca/capitalon...anteed_rev.jpg

This is what all the red boxed images are called in properties. It's called a jpeg and a gif, i figure thats the reason they are not showing, confused images.

Any ideas?

Thanks

looks like a creditcard ad
    Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

When you say red boxes, do you mean red cat icons?

This is a strange problem for JPGs to be associated as IrfanView GIFs. Initially, I would go to Options>Properties/Settings>Extensions and uncheck those two associations, close the dialog, then recheck them.

If they aren't checked to begin with, then check them, close the dialog, uncheck them, and close the dialog. If you want them associated with IrfanView, then recheck them. See how that goes.

If the problem persists, we will have to change the settings elsewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by Skippybox View Post
        When you say red boxes, do you mean red cat icons?

This is a strange problem for JPGs to be associated as IrfanView GIFs. Initially, I would go to Options>Properties/Settings>Extensions and uncheck those two associations, close the dialog, then recheck them.

If they aren't checked to begin with, then check them, close the dialog, uncheck them, and close the dialog. If you want them associated with IrfanView, then recheck them. See how that goes.

If the problem persists, we will have to change the settings elsewhere.
        Thanks Skippy, I tried all kinds of different configurations and still the same. I'll keep on trying until I get another message.
        The red boxes are not the cats, they are the full image box no matter what size, is coloured red, the whole box. Evey now and then i will get an image, it's very strange
        I even just went a step further Skippy, I deleted Ifranview all together, and still get the red image boxes, so i guess it's not Ifranview.
        Last edited by markus66; 12.02.2009, 11:12 PM.

Comment

When you see these red boxes are you looking in IrfanView or in Windows Explorer?
          The image you posted appears to be a perfectly normal jpeg showing a credit card. File properties say it is a .jpg not a .gif and no sign of any red boxes anywhere.

Comment

Originally posted by Mij View Post
            When you see these red boxes are you looking in IrfanView or in Windows Explorer?
            The image you posted appears to be a perfectly normal jpeg showing a credit card. File properties say it is a .jpg not a .gif and no sign of any red boxes anywhere.
            I agree, it seems normal. markus66 are you referring to thumbnails or the actual viewed image? How do each appear? Did you view them in another viewer?

I'm surprised because IrfanView does not pay much attention to an extension, to tell what an image is. Windows however will describe the image based on its extension. Do you have extensions displaying in Windows? Maybe the image really does have a GIF extension, but you think you see the JPG extension. All I can think of is that somehow these images were renamed/converted by accident, or something in the registry isn't right. (See screenshots.) Removing IrfanView would not solve either. As for red boxes, I don't see how. Unless the image was edited in some way accidentally.

Do all your JPGs do this or just the ones similar to the one you linked to? When did this start?

Attached Files

Comment

Working...
            X