viewing images in Irfanview

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I transferred my digital pictures from Irfanview to Drive E (Lexar) where they are now contained in a single folder titled "Irfanview". When I Open the Irfanview folder in Drive E, the images show up as tiled files and I have to click on each one to display the image. I would like the images themselves to be displayed (instead of the files - where I have to click on them to display the image). How can I enable this function to "display" the images in Irfanview?

Originally posted by chuckeej View Post
    I transferred my digital pictures from Irfanview to Drive E (Lexar) where they are now contained in a single folder titled "Irfanview". When I Open the Irfanview folder in Drive E, the images show up as tiled files and I have to click on each one to display the image. I would like the images themselves to be displayed (instead of the files - where I have to click on them to display the image). How can I enable this function to "display" the images in Irfanview?
    Are you talking about how they are displayed in the Open dialog box in IrfanView. If so you can set that from the toolbar button, top right of the dialog box (the one that looks like a screen with a drop down arrow by it). Click the arrow and set whatever type of display you want; icons, tiled, list, details, etc.
    If you are talking about how they appear in Windows Explorer, that has nothing to do with IrfanView. You should have a View setting on the menu or toolbar there to set it.

Comment

Are you talking about not seeing thumbnails in Windows Explorer? Like in the thread, No preview available? Maybe the linked solution there will help.

Comment

Thank you Skippy and MiJ for your replies. I find that when I insert my Lexar USB(Drive E with all my images contained in a folder named "irfanview" they still show up as Tiles/icons. So I have to go to the Irfanview program - View - then I click "filmstrip" and the images will display as a filmstrip.....but when I exit Irfanview and go back again to view the images as a filmstrip, it is automatically back into Tile mode. How can I 'permanently' set Irfanview to view the images as a "filmstrip" without it reverting to "Tile" when I exit the program? The reason is that I would like to see the images immediately when I open my "irfanview folder" on my USB drive, so that I can then chose which image(s) to print.
        I also click T and it shows the images - but I cannot set it as an automatic function to display the images immediately. (instead of my entering T ... or opening View to check "filmstrip" each time). Is there a method to set 'filmstrip' or 'thumbnails' automatically so that when I open my 'irfanview' folder with all the images they will be displayed immediately?

Comment

Hello chuckeej,

I am not sure how you came to the conclusion that IrfanView affects the view in Windows Explorer. They are independent. The only thing that could change are the icons if you associated your files with a program, such as IrfanView.

Anyway, when inserting a flash drive I believe the view does default to whatever you applied to all your folders as their default view. So, even if you have set in Folder Options to remember each folder's view settings, it will not. Why this is exactly the case, and not so with removable hard drives that are mass storage devices, I am not sure. You will notice that there is no Customize tab in Properties either for these flash USB devices. Maybe it is the file system or maybe it is Windows' design. So, you have to change the view manually each time you want a different view than the default. It is very much like the annoying behavior of an Open or Save dialog not using a folder's view settings, but a common setting for all/most.

However, you can change the default view for all folders, which would affect the folders on your USB drive. Only problem is that if you want Filmstrip, it will be applied to other folders that really don't benefit from this view. Nonetheless, you do have power over those folders to remember a custom view, so all is not lost. Except, that when you apply your new global setting, you will start over the views you've established everywhere. This would require going to Control Panel>Folder Options>View tab>Folder Views section>Apply to All Folders.

Another way to get right to your images is to create a shortcut, for instance on your desktop or the Lexar. You can start the IrfanView Thumbnails window in your "IrfanView" folder by just clicking the shortcut. But, since this is a removable disk, the shortcut will not work if you change drive letters, since the target will be static. So, make sure that your Lexar is on letter E:\ and not F:\ or something else when inserting drives or changing computers. Just create a new shortcut and put this as the target:

Code:
          "C:\Program Files\IrfanView\i_view32.exe" "E:\IrfanView" /thumbs

Comment

Working...
          X