Delete during random slide show?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Delete during random slide show?

I like to review my photos in random order, and wondered if there is any way to delete certain ones while in slideshow mode. Other options work during a slideshow (rotate, sharpen, etc.), and it would be wonderful if the delete button could be activated here.

Thanks.

delete image while in slide show

Comment

Thanks. Sorry I didn't do an adequate search before posting. As a long time member of other forums, I should know better.

Unfortunately, the useful information you provide shows me that what I seek does not really exist. Since I don't usually use timed progression, all I really need is a way to do a random sort (shuffle) of a directory, sometimes including subdirectories, and then just run through the files as indexed, deleting at will. This would have the benefit of also allowing other tweaks (cropping, color adjustments) along the way, and would in fact be preferable to my original desire.

I gather from the few other threads I have read so far that this is not yet an available feature. Sorting by size does not give me the randomness I need (for example, some images are just horizontal or vertical flips of others, and would almost always be in succession since they would have the same file size), and using a separate program to do a random sort/rename would mean that I would have the same 'random' ordering on every viewing, defeating one main purpose of a random show -- to not know what image will be next.

Thanks again. I have been using IrfanView since its inception, and I can see there is still a lot I need to learn. One of the best pieces of software, free or not, on the planet.

Comment

Well, you can always make a file list in IrfanView and randomize the text file in another program like Excel. Then load the randomized text file with sorting off.

If you're willing to rename the files, you can get a renamer program with a random sort function like Bulk Rename Utility and just add a autonumber prefix that you could remove later.

The first takes some effort, but is the least time consuming and doesn't change the files. The second is easier, but is more constrictive. Or you could find some other solution along those lines.

Comment

Deleting while browsing during a random show, is always problematic.
          When you delete a file the index numbers change of all those after it. As a result you will see again some of the images that you saw earlier when they had a different index number in the folder(s).

In normal browse view it is usually better to tag the files you want to delete by pressing key X when the image is displayed. When you have viewed everything press Shift+Q to display all tagged files as thumbnails. Review what you have, press Ctrl+A to Select all, then Delete to delete all the tagged files in one go. Means too that you only need to confirm once that you really do want to delete them.

That said, unfortunately, tagging (X) does not work in Irfanview slideshow at present. If you think that would be the way to go, I suggest you ask for it in Feature requests.

Comment

Working...
          X