computer freezes when usin thumbs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

computer freezes when usin thumbs

G'day people... i am running Vista premium SP1,2G ram. When i use the Irfanview thumbnail viewer it invariably freezes my computer (laptop) and i have to reboot. Has anyone else had this problem and if yes, how did you solve it. Thank you for reading this post. fraz

How many (large) images do you have in one folder? Does it happen with only a few? Do you use a resource-hog antivirus (Norton, McAfee)? How far does the process get before the freeze?
    Its: Belongs to "It"
    It's: Shortened form of "It is"
    ---------------------
    Lose: Fail to keep
    Loose: Not tight

---------------------
    Plurals do not require apostrophes

Comment

It varies: some folders have as few as 10 , the most would be 100. The freezing seems to happen at random ; sometime the thumbs all load and it freezes when i click to view an image full size, while at other times not even all the thumbs load. I have CA antivirus loaded plus a few a antimalware progs viz Ad-aware, Superantispyware, Spybot s&d and Spyware Terminator. I might add I had no problem whatsoever on my desktop which runs XP Pro SP3. fraz

Comment

Fraz
        Please go to the UserCP and edit your details to tell us your IrfanView version, etc.
        This sounds rather like a problem that used to occur with a previous version of IrfanView running on dual core processors.

Is there a Windows error message? Why do you have to reboot? Have you tried using Task manager to end the IrfanView task (right click on gray taskbar at bottom of window and select Task manager >Applications tab)

Comment

G'day Mij, I have put in the details you requested. The reason i reboot is that my computer just totally locks up ie i can't run task manager; when i right click on the task bar the menu comes up , but the prog won't run. The problem is now occuring everytime i run Irfanview(not just the 'thumbs'. Oh well, i'll have to find another prog, i suppose.

Comment

I have not seen that one myself with IrfanView. I have always been able to end the process.
            Can you kill it from a command line? Click the Start button and type in the Start Search box
            Code:
            taskkill /f /im i_view32.exe
            Enter

Comment

That didn't work... the whole thing just seems to stuff up; although even if it did kill the prog, it's really a crap state of affairs. Thanks for your input, but I've found a prog called Picasa which seems to work ok. bye. fraz

Comment

Well if that does not close Irfanview then you have got big problems.
                Sorry I could not help. Enjoy Picasa.

Comment

Working...
                X