Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Incomplete Support of Unicode in Thumbnail Window?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Incomplete Support of Unicode in Thumbnail Window?

My setup is Vista 32-bit SP2 English and IV 4.25. The unicode plugin is activated in the settings. Most of the time (not always!), IV's thumbnail window can not show files that were put under folders with non-English ending names (ending with Traditional Chinese names in my case). The files can be read using File-Open in the main IV window though.

Please display the problem!
    Please give us two screenshots if you have switched into your traditional chinese language!
    One screenshot with activated and the other screenshot with deactivated unicode plugin!

see: activation/deactivation of unicode plugin

(Click to view full size!)

But I think also, you need to install an Asian Language pack!

See also:

- "Help:Multilingual support (East Asian)" (from Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)
    - "How to display/input Chinese in English Windows"
    - "How to Input Chinese in English Windows"
    - "How to display and edit Chinese on English Windows systems"
    - "Chinese input methods for computers"
    - "Keyboard layout" (from Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

Comment

Problem solved in another way

I found everything will be normal in the thumbnail window if the "Load Unicode Plugin" is NOT selected, regardless of the IV languages used.

If the "Load Unicode Plugin" is selected, folder names that end with some specific traditional chinese characters will not be accessible in thumbnail window. Now if I press F5 for a refresh, thumbnails in the previous inaccessible folders would appear. But the selected folder would become the last one automatically instead of the previous inaccessible one.

If the "Load Unicode Plugin" is selected, the thumbnail windows will go like this,

• The folder "111測試" is shown as "111皓祈岫", seems an encoding problem.
      • Folder "111", "111測試", "修齊", "測試", and "測試111" can be read.
      • Folder "222呂修齊", "呂", "呂修齊", "修", and "齊" can not be read.
      • This problem seems to affect folder names only, file names with mixed chinese and english characters are ok.

Comment

This is OS-related

I found this problem on a Vista 32-bit SP2 English (US). On a Vista 32-bit SP1 Traditional Chinese (Taiwan), certain Chinese folder names are still wrongly displayed, but IV can successfully show all the files.

Comment

Originally posted by trevoryu View Post
          I found this problem on a Vista 32-bit SP2 English (US). ...
          See, ... that's the problem!

Have you read "Help:Multilingual support (East Asian)" (from Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)?
          (Can you see Traditional Chinese text, Simplified Chinese text and Japanese text (there and on other websites) in correct view?)

Comment

On my Vista 32-bit SP2 English PC, I can read Traditional Chinese, Simplified Chinese, Japanese, and Korean text correctly in Firefox 3.5.2 and IE 8 (both are US version).

The Windows Photo Gallery (a built-in Vista's program) can handle this kinds of folder names without problems.
            Last edited by trevoryu; 08.09.2009, 12:57 PM. Reason: Add something about Windows Photo Gallery

Comment

You say also:
              I found this problem on a Vista 32-bit SP2 English (US).
              On a Vista 32-bit SP1 Traditional Chinese (Taiwan), certain Chinese folder names are still wrongly displayed, but IV can successfully show all the files.
              On my Vista 32-bit SP2 English PC, I can read Traditional Chinese, Simplified Chinese, Japanese, and Korean text correctly in Firefox 3.5.2 and IE 8 (both are US version).

The Windows Photo Gallery (a built-in Vista's program) can handle this kinds of folder names without problems.
              What do you want to say us with these statements???
              (Now which program is guilty? IrfanView, Vista or both?)

If Microsoft has the source code of all its own faulted programs, then of course they have the best possibilities to repair their own bugs!

Comment

Sorry if I did not make it clear. English is not my native language.

Below is a summary of my observation,

Vista English + IV 4.25 + "Use Unicode PlugIn" enabled
                = IV thumbnail window can not show files in folders with names that end with some specific traditional chinese characters

Vista English + IV 4.25 + "Use Unicode PlugIn" disabled
                = IV thumbnail window can show every files in every folders that named with any combination of english and traditional chinese characters

Vista English's Windows Photo Gallery can show every files in every folders that named with any combination of english and traditional chinese characters

I've just done a small experiment and probably found the answer.

I typed the two traditional chinese characters "測試" in a text editor (Notepad++), encoded in UTF-8. I then changed the encoding to ANSI and found the characters became "皓祈岫", exactly the same erroneous results I showed you in my previous post.

So my guess is, if the "Use Unicode PlugIn" option is enabled, IV thumbnail window probably uses a wrong encoding in displaying traditional chinese folder names. Then due to some kinds of reason, files in those folders can not be "seen" in IV thumbnail window.
                Last edited by trevoryu; 09.09.2009, 03:45 PM.

Comment

My "Current language for non-Unicode programs" under Vista's [Control Panel] - [Regional and Language Options] - [Administrative] is set to "Chinese (Traditional, Taiwan)."

Hope this helps.

Comment

I also found...

Vista English + Vista's "Current language for non-Unicode programs" set to "Chinese (Traditional, Taiwan)" + IV's "Use Unicode PlugIn" disabled
                    = correct handling of Traditional Chinese folder names

Vista English + Vista's "Current language for non-Unicode programs" set to "English (United States)" + IV's "Use Unicode PlugIn" enabled
                    = correct handling of Traditional Chinese folder names

It is said Windows 2K/XP/Vista use unicode in storing folder & file names. In the old pre-Windows 2K or DOS era, Traditional Chinese content was encoded as BIG5. I've "heard" someone said Windows XP/Vista still use BIG5 somewhere in the process of managing Traditional Chinese folder & file names. This is all what I know now I am afraid.

Comment

Working...
                    X