Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tile an image and fit as much as possible in a single paper/specified resolution

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tile an image and fit as much as possible in a single paper/specified resolution

Is it possible to set Irfanview to arrange a single image (without cropping or resizing) by tiling (without borders or margins) as many copies of the image as possible on a specified resolution or paper size?

I am trying to print size 2"x2" photos of my ID on a 4"x6" photo paper. I am trying to save photo papers by optimally printing as many copies of the image as possible on a single paper. I tried doing this in Picasa but it automatically adds margins.

If Irfanview can't do this, please suggest other software (preferably freeware) that can do this.

Yes, there are a couple ways of doing it.

You could make a panorama in two parts:
    1. Go to Image>Create Panorama image..., make a horizontal panorama with no spacing
    2. Add your image three times, click Create.
    3. Save the image (ideally lossless to avoid recompression artifacts from JPG)*
    4. Go to Image>Create Panorama image..., make a vertical panorama with no spacing
    5. Add your horizontal panorama twice, click Create.
    6. You can either change the DPI in the Information dialog (hotkey I) or use the Print dialog to adjust the size.

*You can avoid steps 3-5 by copying the horizontal panorama to the clipboard and pasting it on an expanded canvas using the File>Change canvas size... and Edit>Create custom crop selection... features. If you're unsure how to do that, just ask.

###

... or you make a contact sheet:
    1. With your image in IrfanView, press Shift+P to copy the filename path to the clipboard.
    2. Open Notepad (or a text editor) and paste the name six times, once per line, then save the file.
    3. Open IrfanView Thumbnails, choose Options>Load file list from TXT file to open your file of six photos.
    4. Select all the thumbnails, choose File>Create contact sheet from selected files
    5. Type in the requested information, such as width: 6", height 4", DPI: necessary pixels/inch to make 2"x2" photos, columns: 3, rows: 2, sheet color: white, make sure other options are off
    6. Preview your document in the window by outputting the first page to see if you want to print

Comment

Clever, that Skippybox is. I'll have to try that text file trick some time.
      Its: Belongs to "It"
      It's: Shortened form of "It is"
      ---------------------
      Lose: Fail to keep
      Loose: Not tight

---------------------
      Plurals do not require apostrophes

Comment

Working...
      X