make thumbnails the default

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

make thumbnails the default

How do I make thumbnails the default when I open a folder? With my old computer, the folders almost always opened with thumbnails. Now the pictures from my "new" camera never open with thumbnails--but always with slideshow.

Thanks for any help!

Jane

Are you talking about IrfanView or Windows Explorer and the default Windows viewer? IV has nothing to do with how Windows displays a folder.
    Its: Belongs to "It"
    It's: Shortened form of "It is"
    ---------------------
    Lose: Fail to keep
    Loose: Not tight

---------------------
    Plurals do not require apostrophes

Comment

Matera--I mean when I open a folder of IV thumbnails. I don't think I am using Windows Explorer. I didn't think I was viewing things in the Windows Viewer.

OK, I see that if I put them in a folder on my desktop, I guess they are in Windows. Hope that gives you enough info.

Thanks.

Jane

Comment

In that case you have to deal with Windows Explorer. Or maybe with whatever software came with your new camera. IrfanView has no impact on how files are displayed in Win Explorer, except to change the icons of files it is associated with.

If some bundled viewing/editing software was installed from a CD that came with the camera, you will have to find out whether you need all of it or not. Most likely NOT. Is it a Kodak? They can stick you with a lot, and I don't know if it can be gotten rid of. I'll never buy a Kodak.
        Last edited by matera; 20.10.2009, 02:58 PM. Reason: typo
        ---------------------

---------------------

Comment

Originally posted by gemjane View Post
          How do I make thumbnails the default when I open a folder? With my old computer, the folders almost always opened with thumbnails. Now the pictures from my "new" camera never open with thumbnails--but always with slideshow.
          Jane
          Are you trying to open the folder by dragging and dropping onto the Irfanview Thumbs shortcut? That should open Irfanview thumbnails, not the Viewer, but it does not open thumbnails at the correct folder.

It is an old problem connected with the order of items in the Thumbs command line that Irfan seems loathe to put right. The only way around that problem that I know is to create a Batch file and point the shortcut to that. The attachment shows what I have on my computer. If you want to do this and do not understand what I have done just ask again.

With this when you drop a folder onto the shortcut, IrfanView thumbnails opens at the right place. If you drop an image file rather than a folder onto it, the Viewer opens showing the file and Thumbnails opens showing the folder contents.
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by gemjane View Post
            When you say slideshow, I think you mean Filmstrip view, right? If you are getting that view, that means that you have the Folder Tasks feature enabled. You can disable it and return to Classic Folders. In a folder or Control Panel, select Tools>Folder Options. On the General tab, Tasks, Use Windows classic folders.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Image065_1_2.png
Views:	1
Size:	9.0 KB
ID:	79966

Folder Tasks works with folder templates that determine what view to use and what commands to display. If you wish to keep Folder Tasks enabled, you can change the folder template instead. However, special folders like My Pictures cannot be changed. Right-click your folder, choose Properties, Customize tab, Use this folder type as a template, Pictures (best for many files) or Documents (for any folder type).

Name:	Image066_1.png
Size:	12.8 KB
ID:	79967

Your other choice is to manually change the view setting. You can either do that on a folder-by-folder basis, or all at once. Realize though, if you do change all folders to Thumbnail view, then even non-graphic files will be shown as thumbnails in other document folders. So, you'll have to decide what view you want to start with as a majority standard and maybe change whatever folders you have less of to something else. To change, go to Folder Options, View, Folder Views, and press the Apply to all Folders button.

Name:	Image067_1.png
Size:	13.0 KB
ID:	79968

To have your settings retained as you change them, check Remember each folder's view settings in Folder Options, View.

Comment

I was wondering about that too, but since I have only seen the phenomenon about three times in my whole life (and now I have Vista...) I can't even make it happen any more so I could explain how to unhappen it. Geeked myself into a corner
              ---------------------

---------------------

Comment

Working...
              X