Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Horizontal Sizing of Part of Image

Hello

I have a number of pictures where I would like to change only the horizontal size of only part of the picture by a particular percentage. I can essentially achieve this through the following steps:

- creating a selection box through the mouse
    - copying the section (ie have selected only part of the picture)
    - using edit / create a custom crop selection - change the "width" dimension of the "selection size / position" - apply to image - (ie have changed the horizontal size of the selection box)
    - edit / paste

The selected image is thus shrunken horizontally as I wanted. There are 3 options related to the width dimension - "pixels / cm / inches". In the above if my original selection was 200 pixels and I wanted to take 75% of the picture, I would enter 150. My question is that I would like to shrink the horizontal dimension by exactly 75% for all my pictures and am trying to avoid having to "calculate" the new width for each picture. (I have about 1000 pictures I need to do this for). I'd like to be able to just put in the new horizontal percentage (ie the 75%).

Under the "image" menu, under the "resize/resample" item there is a way to change the width / height percentage but this only seems to apply to the entire image. Is there another way to accomplish the above through this menu option or some other feature of irfanview? I could crop the image and resize but then I'd have to re-open the original image to paste it into - I'd like to be able to do this within the original image if possible.

I am using version 4.25 on Windows XP Home

Thanks Ken

Welcome to the forum, Chicocat. I am not aware of any method that will allow you to do the shrinking within the original image itself - maybe someone else in here has an answer...

The method you use will definitely work, but my question is, when you shrink the selection and paste your selection into your original image, how do you take care of the 'excess' portions created in the original image?
    Download IrfanView Help Manual from:
    IrfanView Website - Here
    Sam_Zen's Website - Here
    Author's Website - Here

Comment

Originally posted by Chicocat View Post
      Hello

I have a number of pictures where I would like to change only the horizontal size of only part of the picture by a particular percentage. I can essentially achieve this through the following steps:

- creating a selection box through the mouse
      - copying the section (ie have selected only part of the picture)
      - using edit / create a custom crop selection - change the "width" dimension of the "selection size / position" - apply to image - (ie have changed the horizontal size of the selection box)
      - edit / paste

The selected image is thus shrunken horizontally as I wanted. There are 3 options related to the width dimension - "pixels / cm / inches". In the above if my original selection was 200 pixels and I wanted to take 75% of the picture, I would enter 150. My question is that I would like to shrink the horizontal dimension by exactly 75% for all my pictures and am trying to avoid having to "calculate" the new width for each picture. (I have about 1000 pictures I need to do this for). I'd like to be able to just put in the new horizontal percentage (ie the 75%).

Under the "image" menu, under the "resize/resample" item there is a way to change the width / height percentage but this only seems to apply to the entire image. Is there another way to accomplish the above through this menu option or some other feature of irfanview? I could crop the image and resize but then I'd have to re-open the original image to paste it into - I'd like to be able to do this within the original image if possible.

I am using version 4.25 on Windows XP Home

Thanks Ken
      Would something likethis do what you want?

Create selection
      Save selection (Shift+C, S, enter)
      Crop (Ctrl+Y)
      Resize (Ctrl+R, set to 75% horizontal, 100% vertical, OK)
      Save to clipboard (Ctrl+C)
      Reopen image (Shift+R)
      Restore selection (Shift+C, enter)
      Paste from clipboard (Ctrl+V)

Comment

Originally posted by WellOiledPC View Post
        Welcome to the forum, Chicocat. I am not aware of any method that will allow you to do the shrinking within the original image itself - maybe someone else in here has an answer...

The method you use will definitely work, but my question is, when you shrink the selection and paste your selection into your original image, how do you take care of the 'excess' portions created in the original image?
        Thanks for the response. With respect to the excess portions of the original image I am just going to recrop the image. I essentially don't need the excess so this will work for me.

Ken

Comment

Originally posted by Mij View Post
          Would something likethis do what you want?

Create selection
          Save selection (Shift+C, S, enter)
          Crop (Ctrl+Y)
          Resize (Ctrl+R, set to 75% horizontal, 100% vertical, OK)
          Save to clipboard (Ctrl+C)
          Reopen image (Shift+R)
          Restore selection (Shift+C, enter)
          Paste from clipboard (Ctrl+V)
          Thanks for the suggestion. I couldn't get the sequence to do what I wanted but I think there may be a combination of what you suggested that might work - I'll have to play with this. The issue with the above sequence relates I think to the second last step - "restore selection". This essentially creates the same dimension selection as the original and thus when the re-sized paste from clipboard occurs it refits the paste into the original selection size (seems like it is essentialy just re-pasting over top). The trick I think is trying to resize the selection box.

Thanks again. Ken

Comment

Hi Chicocat
            In the Browsing/Editing section of Properties/Settings is a Checkbox option Paste into selection: Fit to selection. This should be checked for the image to be fitted into the selection with the correct aspect ratio. If it remains unchecked (default) then the pasted image is stretched either vertically or horizontally to fit the whole selection, which you do not want.
            With the option checked the image is fitted from top left corner of the selection. In your case this should mean that the pasted image covers the left hand 75% .

If that is not acceptable to you, then you would have to resort to more elaborate methods such as perhaps using a script file to modify the custom selection values in the i_view32.ini file between the saving and pasting operations. You could then include in the script the necessary calculations to both resize and reposition the selection as you want it and then use the unchecked option to resize/reshape the image to the new selection. You would not then need the crop, resample and reopen operations I suggested.

Comment

Originally posted by Mij View Post
              Hi Chicocat
              In the Browsing/Editing section of Properties/Settings is a Checkbox option Paste into selection: Fit to selection. This should be checked for the image to be fitted into the selection with the correct aspect ratio. If it remains unchecked (default) then the pasted image is stretched either vertically or horizontally to fit the whole selection, which you do not want.
              With the option checked the image is fitted from top left corner of the selection. In your case this should mean that the pasted image covers the left hand 75% .

If that is not acceptable to you, then you would have to resort to more elaborate methods such as perhaps using a script file to modify the custom selection values in the i_view32.ini file between the saving and pasting operations. You could then include in the script the necessary calculations to both resize and reposition the selection as you want it and then use the unchecked option to resize/reshape the image to the new selection. You would not then need the crop, resample and reopen operations I suggested.
              Hi Mij.

Thank you very much for the additional instructions / clarification. The paste worked as you indicated and as I hoped. Thanks again for your help on my issue. Ken

Comment

Working...
              X