Drag and drop?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Drag and drop?

Is it possible to drag images from Irfanview to other programs? Such as JAlbum. I see a plus sign when I try but no dropping.

I saw a message about this elsewhere here but didn't understand it. Using most recent version on Windows 7. Thanks DaveC

Welcome to the Forum, DaveC. The post you probably saw was one about dragging and dropping images for a Slideshow.

When you have an open image and you drag and drop it to say Word, the Plus sign you see is actually a rectangle that allows you to select a portion of your image, for further operations. You need to copy-paste.

Under the Thumbnails view, you do see a Plus sign, but the image cannot be pasted this way too. You need to use copy-paste.
    Last edited by WellOiledPC; 07.02.2010, 02:06 PM.
    Download IrfanView Help Manual from:
    IrfanView Website - Here
    Sam_Zen's Website - Here
    Author's Website - Here

Comment

Originally posted by DaveC View Post
      Is it possible to drag images from Irfanview to other programs? Such as JAlbum. I see a plus sign when I try but no dropping.
      I saw a message about this elsewhere here but didn't understand it. Using most recent version on Windows 7. Thanks DaveC
      Irfanview does support some drag and drop. You can drag and drop files from another application to and from dialog boxes such as Open and Save As. You can drag an image from an Explorer window or elsewhere and drop it on the Viewer screen and it will open there. One very useful feature is to drag and drop files into the list box of the Slideshow or Batch dialogs. Just their names are added to the list, not the files themselves.

What I suspect you are talking about is trying to drag and drop to and from the Thumbnails window. That supports dragging and dropping within the Thumbnails window, on to the Folder tree or into the Viewer window but not in or out of other applications.

Comment

Thanks

Thanks for the prompt replies. For some reason I thought I HAD been able to do it earlier.

If it's not too long or technical could somebody explain WHY it's not possible? I realize it's the programming but is it really that complicated? Just curious.

Comment

Well, let me give you a non-programmer's answer: Irfan's aim is to keep IrfanView small (the core program still fits into a 1.44 MB Floppy doesn't it, even though the 1.44 Floppy is extinct?), lightning-fast to start up and run and let you perform most of the common tasks the majority of users perform, with images.

The IrfanView Plug-ins (developed by many IrfanView fans worldwide) give IrfanView additional functionality - like apply a number of special effects to your images, letting you play video files, scan images, perform OCR operations, quickly e-Mail with images as attachments, etc.

I believe that features like multiple 'Undos' and 'Drag-and-Drop', etc., have been left out so as to keep the core program as small as possible.

P.S.: By non-programmer, I was referring to myself!
          Last edited by WellOiledPC; 09.02.2010, 01:35 PM. Reason: To add the P.S.
          IrfanView Website - Here
          Sam_Zen's Website - Here
          Author's Website - Here

Comment

Thanks for the comments. Much as I expected. I did NOT realize that much of what makes up Irfanview actually comes from add-ons! Shows what I know. It juat seems to me that "dragondrop" is just such an integral part of Windows that it would be included. Is it that heavy a routine?

Comment

Originally posted by DaveC View Post
              Thanks for the comments. Much as I expected. I did NOT realize that much of what makes up Irfanview actually comes from add-ons! Shows what I know. It juat seems to me that "dragondrop" is just such an integral part of Windows that it would be included. Is it that heavy a routine?
              Although IrfanView uses the Windows API, just how drag-and-drop is implemented in programs and just how heavy it would make the program is something I do not know! MItaly, among others here, would definitely have the answer to that.

If you have installed the Plug-ins, you will notice that although the IrfanView 4.25 setup file is a mere 1,328 KB, the Plug-ins setup file is 7,848 KB! To check the plug-ins you have, click on Help/ Installed plugins while IrfanView is running.
              IrfanView Website - Here
              Sam_Zen's Website - Here
              Author's Website - Here

Comment

Working...
              X