Error from batch conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Error from batch conversion

I am doing batch conversion from png images to raw images. It always shows "Error! Can't save: ......***.raw"
    I don't know what the problem is and how I can solve the problem. Anybody can help me? Thanks a lot!

Hi limpid,

Works without problem here (Save As and batch conversion), despite IrfanView help file doesn't mention it is possible to save a RAW.
    What is the destination directory of the RAW files?

Note that these RAW files are binary files that are different from RAW files from digital cameras.

Laurent
    Before you post ... fill in your OS and IV version in your profile.

Comment

Is that so ? Didn't know that.
      So far I thought that any RAW file was a binary file. So this camera type can have embedded data ?
      Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

Hi Sam_Zen,

What I meant is that IrfanView cannot create a raw file having the same format as a digital camera raw. For example, choosing to save an image as a raw file with IrfanView will not create a Nikon NEF raw file.

Because limpid did not say why he wants to save as raw, I wondered if that was because he hopes to create the same kind of raw as a digital camera.

Laurent

Comment

I understand.
          The usual mess when every manufacturer tries to impose their own format as a 'standard'..
          Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

Not sure their idea is to impose their format as standard. Rather, developing their own format -- not fully documented -- allows them to provide users with special features that can be exploited only when buying their software! Only basic features are usable with the software that comes with the camera. This is the case at least for Nikon. For example Nikon's cameras a "dust off" feature (take an image of a flat uniform surface at small aperture) but only Capture NX2 (165 €) can use it to remove dust spots on pictures.

Comment

Perhaps manufacturers do want to provide users with new features, Laurent. However it does create confusion in most cases. Again, there are numerous examples (Sun Java v.s. Microsoft Java, to name but one instance) where the intention was definitely aimed at getting the world to adopt their standard! It is very much a case of "Might is Right" and "Survival of the Most Cunning", I'm afraid!
              Download IrfanView Help Manual from:
              IrfanView Website - Here
              Sam_Zen's Website - Here
              Author's Website - Here

Comment

I don't mind manufacturers making their own formats, but if they all call it RAW, then confusion starts.
                Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

Hi Sam_Zen,

Raw is to undestand as "not processed". It is like "brut" in French or "rauw" in Dutch. You can think of "raw" format as the "native" format from the camera. "Raw" is not a standard format, just as "binary" is not a standard format. For example JPEG, PNG, ZIP are binary files and do not share the same format. To avoid the confusion, Nikon's raw file format is called NEF, Canon's is CRW/CR2, Fuji's is RAF...

Laurent

Comment

Working...
                  X