Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Corrupted Jpeg files! Please help me to repair them!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Corrupted Jpeg files! Please help me to repair them!

Hi guys! New to this forum and I have a good feeling that I will get the best help possible for my problem.

I turned my RAID-harddrives in for recovery last week since my computer broke down. Got the files back on a portable harddrive and now when
    I try to view my pictures they dont show. It says something about header missing..?

Ill attach a picture as ill save as .txt to this thread and maybe a kind soul could take a look at it and see what is wrong? Maybe even get things to work again.

Would be much appreciated!

Best regards Hampus from Sweden.
    Attached Files

It looks to me as though you have lost the header, and possibly more, of the file; or the file is completely corrupted.
    Open a good JPG file with IrfanView and choose View > Hex and you will see the binary of the file. All JPG files start with FF D8 FF D0 ... (although I don't know exactly what a complete JPG header is).
    If you open your TXT file with IrfanView you will see it does not have a JPG header. That being said, as you have recovered the file from a RAID system, it is probable that:
    a) These files were so badly damaged when the RAID failed that they cannot be recovered
    b) the recovery process when the RAID system was rebuilt has failed. This has either corrupted the file, or has lost the beginning of the file and hence the header.
    I doubt you can do anything apart from ask the person who recovered the data to have a look at it as the recovery seems to have failed. But if the recovery had failed, I would expect many other non-photo files would also have been corrupted.
    You can see information on a JPG file structure at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JPEG. In (very expensive) principle you might find someone who might be able to recover fragments of your file, but that is probably unlikely.

** EDIT ** Suggest you read the sticky at the top of this forum - http://irfanview-forum.de/showthread...wn-file-format - which discusses this problem
    Last edited by John_Ha; 07.01.2012, 05:52 PM.

Comment

Working...
    X