EXIF value differences between various software programs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EXIF value differences between various software programs

I'm a fairly recent user of IrfanView and have come across some puzzling differences in reported EXIF information between for example IrfanView, Win10 and PSP2020. The specific information is the image orientation, which as far as I'm concerned is being reported properly by IrfanView and NOT by PSP. Win10 doesn't give the actual information but it does take it into account when displaying a portrait/vertical image and infers it from the reported width and height. It makes no difference what I use as a camera, it happens both with images taken on my Lumix G6 and my Galaxy A71 phone.
    An unedited portrait/vertical image is displayed properly by all 3. Both Win10 and IrfanView report image width being lower value than height, Win10 doesn't report orientation, PSP reports image width being higher value than height and orientation as horizontal Top Left. Let's not get into a discussion of the merit or lack thereof with PSP, I'm NOT a power user and my wife and I have been using PSP since before Corel bought JASC.It suits our purpose and we know our way around it.
    It is my considered opinion there is a bug in how PSP reports the information - and has been for some time, the previous generation has the same issue. I had a remote session with one of their people this afternoon and when I brought IrfanView into the discussion they immediately suggested they were correct and Win10 and Irfanview was incorrect and to contact IrfanView. Click image for larger version

Name:	screen capture PSP.jpg
Views:	332
Size:	290.4 KB
ID:	90843Click image for larger version

Name:	irfanview exif.jpg
Views:	314
Size:	379.4 KB
ID:	90844
    Well, here I am..... and I think you will agree with my conclusions. What is your opinion?
    Click image for larger version

Views:	131
ID:	90842
    Click image for larger version

Views:	324
ID:	90841Click image for larger version

Name:	screen capture PSP.jpg
Views:	404