Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cant get jpeg jpg extensions installed in Irfanview 4.59 at all

Hi

I am new in this forum because I had never any problems with Irfanview before Windows 11.

I installed Irfanview 4.59 + plugins and it works as under Windows 10:
    I check in all the picture extensions and said ok and then I looked Irfanview down after that I restarted the Irfanview check in on all the picture extensions one more and then I found that Irfanview had uncheck among others the 2 most important extensions = jpg jpeg.
    And then the whole misery started up. I tried to run it as administrator (I am administrator as user on my on laptop anyway) but I could not get Irfanview to accept the jpg extensions in anyway.
    So what is wrong with Irfanview together with Windows 11?

I tried also to stand on a jpg file and open the "open with file menu" and I found Irfanview on that list and then I pick ofcourse Irfanview but then the jpg file just open up the 1 file and the icons did not change picture icons from Microsoft picture icons to Irfanview picture icons as I and all others knowing normally to happen in Windows 10 and backward.
    And one thing did also missing in the window "open with" in Windows 11, I was not asked if I wanted all the jpg jpeg extension should be opened with Irfanview in the future.
    Instead I was told to get into Windows 11 system/apps and open Irfanview and then I found i list with some extension but not so many as the picture extension list in Irfanview 4.59 and backwards.

And I have used most of my after bed time last night to try to find a solution on this problem and have waste a lot of my time several hours on junk solutions, so now I asked here if any one with a serios knowlegde about this problem:

a) is it an Irfanview problem because the extension pat in Irfanview lose the setup whatever it is the User with administrator setup or just the regular administrator who have done the setup?

b) is it a Microsoft Windows 11 programming error while Mircrosoft want to get their users to use Microsoft pictures instead of Irfanview - Its business or?

I hope some who knowing about programming issues can help me. Or someone that have solved above problem because the is one solutions not 57 solutions. It works or it dont works

Friendly regards

In Windows 10 and later, you are not supposed to set file extensions inside the program itself (or inside the installer). It somehow works in Windows 10, but in Windows 11, the file extensions will get corrupted. It is a programming error by Microsoft, that Windows will break so easily. Microsoft requires users to set file extensions manually using Default Apps settings or using File Explorer.

Check out this topic for fixing the corrupted system:
    https://irfanview-forum.de/forum/pro...3272#post93272
    My system: IrfanView 4.62 64bit, Windows 10 22H2, Intel Core i5-3570, 16GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1050Ti 4GB

Comment

Hi JendaLinda
      As I found out from Windows 11 we can´t manage Irfanview fileformats setup inside Irfanview anymore. Not in the install process or efter install is finished.

Now we shall open:
      System windows + apps + standard apps + name of standard apps - in this case Irfanview and then open all the file formats one by one we wish Irfanview to manage it.

Close all and then you can check inside Irfanview plugins section and you will se that all the fileformats you have chosen in Microsoft standard apps setup also now is chosen in Irfanview under plugins section..

And it works now by me as in the old days.
      But setup is not so easy any more

And the problem was at the 19.02.2022, 12:59 PM when called out for help, that the list in Windows 11 was not very long, so I could not install the connection to jpg, jpeg+ fileformats at that time to Irfanview.
      But yesterday all the fileformats was back again.

Bur yesterday I installed VLCMedia Player and got the same problem as with Irfanview. Here was the problem that one of the most used fileformats .mp4 was missing.
      But .mp3 fileformat .mp3 was there !!!

I can´t find any explanation on this failure either its looks as bad programming checkout from Microsoft.

Comment

Yes, the cause of the problem with VLC and file extensions is exactly the same. The user must not set file extensions inside the program or in the installer.
        Windows 11 is still buggy and unfinished. I wouldn't reccommend using Windows 11 if you don't really have to.
        My system: IrfanView 4.62 64bit, Windows 10 22H2, Intel Core i5-3570, 16GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1050Ti 4GB

Comment

Hi there.
          I have been using IV for more than 20 years, and paid for it several times along the way, just because the developer deserves so
          After crashing with W11, and burning my head a bit, found the way to do the association by default.

Tested in two computers:

1. Install Irfanview 4.59 + Plugins. Do not try to change associations from within Irfanview.
          2. Settings> Applications> Default/Predeterminadas > PHOTOS/FOTOS> double click in each file type > Change file association to Irfanview. "¿How do you want to open this files from now on?"..... Also work with JPG and PNG!!!

Salu2 cordiales
          Abel

-IrfanView 4.59, W11, HP Envy 17, i7-1195G7, MX450-2GB, 16GB DDR4, 1TB SSD-
          Last edited by abelmh; 18.03.2022, 11:12 AM.

Comment

Working...
          X