Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Files association problem

Hello,

I have a problem on my new laptop. I can't associate .jpg files with Irfan. When I change the options in through Irfan nothing changes and the files are still opened through WIndows Apps. I also can't change the options in Windows Properties as no .jpg option is shown.

Amazing that MS have not fixed this sort of thing which has been a problem even as far back as WinXP.

Once something has been associated with a particular tool it is difficult (without registry editing) to unassociate it. JPG and other common static image files are by default associated with the Windows Picture Viewer or whatever they're calling it now. Using Windows itself the Control Panel and Default Programs menus prevents you from changing that.

Things to try:-

Select a JPG and try using the right click context menu and the option to "Open with". I don't know Win10 very well, which I assume you're using, but in the past with Windows you are given a "Choose default program" option at the bottom of the dialogue box. The options should include Irfanview if it is already associated with other image files.

That might work but if it does not you'll have to try a third party unassociate tool like Default Program Editor or Unassoc. The latter I know only works up to Win7 but the Default Programs Editor may be worth checking out.

Comment

Originally posted by BadRobot2018 View Post
      Amazing that MS have not fixed this sort of thing which has been a problem even as far back as WinXP.
      When Microsoft tries to fix something, it usually invents new layers of complexity on top of the existing format that is kept for compatibility. With every version of Windows, there is new branch in the registry where associations can be recorded. They overhauled associations again with win10, greatly restricting the available options. I would rather Microsoft didn't touch it.

Comment

This is a known bug in Win11. If application tries to set file associations in registry, the file associations will break.
        The fix can be found here: https://irfanview-forum.de/forum/pro...5962#post95962
        My system: IrfanView 4.62 64bit, Windows 10 22H2, Intel Core i5-3570, 16GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1050Ti 4GB

Comment

Thanks for all the advice but unfortunately nothing has helped. I use Win 11 and Default Programs Editor says it can't change anything because it can't mess with the registry. I also don't where the "the hamburger menu" is. I don't even have .jpg files listed in the properties.

Click image for larger version

Name:	k08tJLF.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	232.3 KB
ID:	96740Click image for larger version

Name:	d6m7mQM.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	96741

Comment

Please check the last post in the topic I linked. You need to repair the Phoho app first. Tthe "hamburger menu" is a slang term for the "triple bar" icon.
            My system: IrfanView 4.62 64bit, Windows 10 22H2, Intel Core i5-3570, 16GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1050Ti 4GB

Comment

I finally figured it out and it worked. Thanks!

Comment

So the 'trick' with Win11 is to to use the new Repair and Reset option first, then you can change the file association using what looks very like the same 'Open with...' menu older Windows OS also used.

Useful info.

Comment

Working...
                X