Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Enabling back JPG save as grayscale in ini ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Solved Enabling back JPG save as grayscale in ini ?

Hello,

I noticed after installing latest version that the checkbox to save JPG as grayscale disappeared,
    as reported in the release notes:
    • Old/obsolete JPG options disabled: "Load as grayscale" and "Save as grayscale"
    • (easy to forget; can be re-enabled using new INI flags)
    This feature is much appreciated to save my monochrome astronomy work and save a bit of space.

I did try to guess and set

Save Grayscale=1

in

%appdata%\Roaming\IrfanView i_view_64.ini

but option is still grayed out.
    Is there some doc about the proper INI flag to use, or other way to enable back the feature, please?
    (windows 11 - 64, iview 4.62)

Many thanks for this great tool !

tee-pi

Not sure about the correct option in INI, but there's another way. Before saving the image, convert it to grayscale in IrfanView. The JPEG will be actually saved in grayscale, you can later check in the Image information.
    My system: IrfanView 4.62 64bit, Windows 10 22H2, Intel Core i5-3570, 16GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1050Ti 4GB

Comment

There are two options
      [JPEG]
      Load Grayscale=0
      Save Grayscale=0
      Don't know if they still work or if this is disabled in IrfanView itself.
      You'll need to ask Irfan about this. See Help - About IrfanView... for his mail adress.
      If you do so, please report his answer.
      Win 10/64 Home 22H2 IrfanView 4.67/64
      Hate has caused a lot of problems in this world, but it has not solved one yet. (Maya Angelou)

Comment

Thanks for your advice !

I reinstalled previous version to compare the ( "convert to grayscale" then "save as jpg" ) to (direct "save as grayscale jpg"), and the result images are very similar. There are some very very small differences, but I can't tell which is better - and the file sizes are almost equal. So it's fine to live without the old option then, this worflow is perfectly good ?

Have a nice day
        t.p

Comment

The old grayscale option apparently was causing problems to users who accidentaly turned it on or forgot they did so. Then they couldn't figure out why are their images grayscale. The new workflow is completely foolproof in this regard.
          My system: IrfanView 4.62 64bit, Windows 10 22H2, Intel Core i5-3570, 16GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1050Ti 4GB

Comment

Hi,

For those, who still want to have "risky" feature enabled in JPEG "Save as" menu. I asked Irfan on the resp. flag for the i_view64.ini file [JPEG] section and he provided me with this:

EnableSaveGray=1

It works. But all that read this, PLEASE, don't complain if you forget to uncheck the option and your beautiful peacock on the photo turns into the crow.
            After all, if you're playing with .ini you are presumed to know what you do...

Best,

cf
            Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 16.03.2023, 07:34 PM. Reason: Fixed typo

Comment

Thank you for the update.

Comment

Working...
              X