Black bars above and below portrait-oriented image in windowed view mode

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Black bars above and below portrait-oriented image in windowed view mode

IrfanView 4.62 64bit for Windows, default settings.
    If portrait-oriented image has vertical resolution higher than desktop, it takes all available vertical space when viewed in fullscreen mode.
    When it is viewed in windowed mode, it is resized to smaller size than is vertically available on black area and has black bars on top and at the bottom of the image.
    What's the reasoning behind such behavior of the program? Is there an option to change it to be similar to fullscreen mode? I couldn't find it.

Update.
    It actually happens with large images of any orientation too, but only if viewer's window is maximized (that is, was clicked standard window's button on the left of closing button).
    And when window isn't maximized, those black gaps are absent.

But here's another funny thing that happened.
    I have clicked minimize button while large image was loaded, then window shrinked, black bars disappeared and appeared vertical scrollbar in viewer's window.
    Then I maximized window again, black bars came back, and also vertical scrollbar remained in same position and size as it was on minimized window, just over the middle of the picture. Although I couldn't repeat it again and the scrollbar was inoperable.
    Update 2.
    It's more or less repeatable if before maximizing window you drag vertical scrollbar down.
    Last edited by Jiri; 21.04.2023, 01:37 PM.

I think you need View/Display Options (window mode)/Fit window to image

Also, it sounds like your IrfanView background color is black. Set it with Options/PropertiesSettings/Viewing

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture_20230421-135853.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	97878
    Attached Files

Comment

Oh yes, thank you! This is exactly the place for the settings I need. I was expecting it to be located somewhere in Properties/Settings dialog window.
      I had it at "Fit only big images to desktop", now with "Fit only big images to window" it works as I prefer.
      Now I wonder, what is desktop from IV's point of view when it calculates image size for maximized window.

Comment

Working...
      X