Default Save As directory

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Default Save As directory

The default directory for a Save As operation appears to be whatever directory any file was last saved to, even if that was 2 years ago.

Is there any reason for this? The standard and logical default would seem to be the directory where the file was loaded from.

The logical directory for Saving a file is the one from where it was loaded. Save As should not overwrite the original file so it is better to save it somewhere else. If you use IrfanView daily, then you will never be saving files in locations last used 2 years ago.

There's a Recent Folders drop list on the Save As dialogue, where you can choose other favourite locations.

Personally, I save everything in My Pictures, so that I always know where to find it, then I move it from there to its final resting place, which is often the Recycle Bin (after I have uploaded it to a forum or whatever).
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Originally posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
      The logical directory for Saving a file is the one from where it was loaded. Save As should not overwrite the original file so it is better to save it somewhere else.
      Like every other program that I have ever used, Save As warns me before overwriting an existing file. Having Save As default to anything other than the directory where the file was loaded is not only non-standard and illogical, but arrogant. But then that has been my experience with IrfanView in general.

If you use IrfanView daily, then you will never be saving files in locations last used 2 years ago.
      So anyone who doesn't use IV daily can just eat cake?

There's a Recent Folders drop list on the Save As dialogue, where you can choose other favourite locations.
      Fine, but that has nothing to do with the IV implementation being non-standard. Can you point to any other quasi-mainstream product that works this way?

Personally, I save everything in My Pictures, so that I always know where to find it, then I move it from there to its final resting place, which is often the Recycle Bin (after I have uploaded it to a forum or whatever).
      Well, you must live a simple life. I have thousands of graphics files associated with hundreds of projects. Keeping them all in My Pictures would make about as much sense as keeping all of my files in C:\. But of that's the way you work, I can see how you might not be bothered bu this design glitch.

It's OK. I didn't really expect it to change.

Comment

Originally posted by Natalie Moore View Post
        Like every other program that I have ever used, Save As warns me before overwriting an existing file. Having Save As default to anything other than the directory where the file was loaded is not only non-standard and illogical, but arrogant. But then that has been my experience with IrfanView in general.
        You are the only one being arrogant here, which is preventing you from seeing the benefit of the way that IrfanView does it.

The fact that one does not have to be warned when using Save As... (unless a file of the same name exists in the target folder) is one less step to saving files after modifying them in IrfanView.

If you want to save files in the original folder you should be using Save (original folder) Ctrl S.

If you don't like the way that IrfanView works, feel free to write to the author and suggest improvements, but you're right in thinking that it's very unlikely to be changed to suit you at the risk of annoying those who use the product daily.
        Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 22.07.2015, 05:34 AM.
        Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

I'm still waiting for you (or anyone) to show me another substantive program that works this way. The IV behavior is 180° out of sync with the Windows standards. That alone makes it more difficult to use and error prone. It sounds like this is not a concern of the author or (at least one member of) the IV community. If that is not arrogance, I guess I don't know what is.

You can now have the last word. Bye

Comment

I too would like to see the default "save as" directory changed to the directory where the file resides. I know "Ctrl S" can do that but what if an icon could be placed in the toolbar for that along with the "save as" icon. It would simplify life for many of us.

Comment

Working...
            X