Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dragging the selection by right mouse button is unreliable.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fixed Dragging the selection by right mouse button is unreliable.

Hello,
    I found already in version 4.37, that when I make a selection (especially a small one) and want to move it somewhere using right mouse button, the cursor often loses its contact with the selection, changes icon from four arrows to hand, and I have to return to the selection again and again or I have to move it really slowly. Am I the only who has this problem? Now in the 4.40 version I can use Ctrl C and Ctrl Shift click to the destination, but the dragging would be sometimes also handy.

(Windows XP, IV 4.40)

No you are not the only one who has problems dragging small selections. A number of users have reported it in the past. I do not know if it has ever been reported to Irfan though. I suspect it may be quite hard to keep up with the cursor. The program has to be constantly redrawing the selection as it moves so it is almost inevitable that it gets left behind if you move the cursor too quickly. It would be nice if you could make it catch up when you have stopped moving the cursor though.

Your post gets a bit tied up with your other one then. I was wondering whether Ctrl+Shift+Click could always be used to bring the selection to where you clicked. If a selection box was already displayed on screen it would be that one that was moved. If not it would be the box from the clipboard image. It could then be used for moving a small box to its destination without having to save it first, as well as for its original purpose.

What Irfan has done in the test file i.e. making the displaying of the selection box and the pasting of the clipboard image into two separate operations, does allow many more options, but I thought you, and possibly others, would object if the new Ctrl+Shift+Click feature was no longer a single mouse click operation.

Comment

Originally posted by Mij View Post
      ... The program has to be constantly redrawing the selection as it moves so it is almost inevitable that it gets left behind if you move the cursor too quickly. It would be nice if you could make it catch up when you have stopped moving the cursor though. ...
      I have programmed a selection in plugins and the frames get left behind when dragging fast, but as you say, the selection catches up once the cursor slows down/stops. So this is possible.

PS: I tested the behaviour in IV and I have to drag very fast to lose the contact.

PPS: You don't just have to constantly redraw the selection, you also need to restore the original in the previous location ;-)
      Last edited by jazzman; 05.10.2015, 01:49 PM. Reason: PS/PPS

currently running 4.56 / 32 bit

Comment

I am inclined to regard this as not a bug. It is just a performance issue that will be more obvious on older hardware if creating very small selections. On my current Windows 7 64-bit and reasonable hardware it is barely an issue at all.

Specs: AMD A10-6800K, 8 Gb on Win 7 64-bit
        Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Originally posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
          I am inclined to regard this as not a bug. It is just a performance issue that will be more obvious on older hardware if creating very small selections. On my current Windows 7 64-bit and reasonable hardware it is barely an issue at all.

Specs: AMD A10-6800K, 8 Gb on Win 7 64-bit
          I insist this is a bug. Of course this is more obvious if creating very small selections. Typically I make some small retouch using selection containing a few pixels. Older hardware could have problem to redraw the frame while mouse cursor moves, but when cursor stops, there is plenty of time to draw the frame at the last position of cursor. If IV loses or ignores some mouse messages, it is definitely bug. For instance, in MS Paint frame never lost contact with mouse, even when I drag frame together with its content, not only frame itself.
          Last edited by bflmpsvz; 30.11.2015, 09:18 AM.

Comment

This seems to be much improved in v4.44
            However fast I move the mouse I cannot leave the selection behind even with a tiny selection box.

Comment

Working...
            X