Browse with Irfanview - Can't read file header

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reported Browse with Irfanview - Can't read file header

When right clicking any folder and selecting "Browse with Irfanview" the error box comes up "Folder xxx: Can't read file header !" etc.
    After clicking OK Thumbnails opens in the root directory of the drive. Pretty annouying.
    Somewhere I read (and can no longer find) of a registry fix - [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Directory\shel l\Browse with &IrfanView\command].
    As installed it is "C:\Program Files (x86)\IrfanView\i_view32.exe" "%1 /thumbs" but is missing the " after the 1. It should be "C:\Program Files (x86)\IrfanView\i_view32.exe" "%1" /thumbs"

Love Irfanview and have made a few small donations so reporting this as still occurred even after on new install.
    New install of Win 10 Pro x 64.
    Irfanview 4.42 32 bit.

I have not used it before. I just added it and it works as expected. I checked the Windows Registry entry, which is:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\IrfanView\i_view32.exe" "%1" /thumbs (with no " after thumbs)

This is on Windows 7 64-bit
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

I was using the 32bit version 4.42 in Windows 7 Pro 64bit and was getting this error. I downloaded and installed version 4.44 but that did not fix it (a complete new install would probably work). Anyway, I made the above registry change and it works now.

Comment

As I understand it, the safest form to use is "C:\Program Files (x86)\IrfanView\i_view32.exe" ""%1" /thumbs"

You need parenthesis (quote marks) around the %1 because it is expanded by Windows into the full image path and file name before sending it to Irfanview. The parenthesis holds the path/name together even if there are space characters in it. Putting a further parenthesis around everything after the Irfanview program name ensures that it is all sent to Irfanview as a single parameter, which is less likely to confuse that program.
        Going the other way, from Irfanview to Windows when used as an External viewer, it always needs that double parenthesis.
        Last edited by Mij; 03.01.2017, 02:54 PM.

Comment

Thanks for responses. For some reason "Browse with Irfanview" stopped working again on my Win 7 computer so put registry back as per Bhikkhu suggestion and working again.
          I tried Mij's suggestion and it did not work.
          When I install updates on my Win 7 or Win 10 computers I still have to go back and do this registry change manually. Have now exported the correct registry entry so I just import it again each time.

Comment

Working...
          X