File associations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

File associations

Is there a tutorial or suggested method for irfanview file associations?

Im sure you know how Win 10 fights it.

I use Irfanview 444 portable. I'd like all image file types associated with Irfanview. Associating thru irfanview options has no effect.

I can associate file extensions individually thru windows setings, but in the case of .ico files, for instance, when I associate it with irfanview, the .ico icon gets replaced by the irfanview icon. The only way I know how to reverse this is by System Restore.

thanks

BTW, with all due respect, registering for this site was a real ordeal. I am a Firefrox user, but I had to go to IE to get the job done. I understand the necessary security measures but...just sayin'

Which .ico gets replaced with the irfanview icon?
    I have the ico filetype associated with Irfanview and it is only the Irfanview program itself that shows the red cat icon.

Comment

Maybe its because I use the portable version, but all I know is that if I want irfanview to be associated with any files, I have to do it manually thru windows settings.

All files I associate with irfanview show the irfanview icon. Not a problem with files like .png .gif, etc. because they always take on the symbol of the program they are associated with. In fact, that's how I prefer it because by showing the irfanview icon, it informs me that their file association to irfanview is correct, but .ico files show the image they represent.

When I associate .ico with irfanview, all the images turn into the irfanview logo.

Comment

Originally posted by kltpzyxmrm View Post
        Maybe its because I use the portable version, but all I know is that if I want irfanview to be associated with any files, I have to do it manually thru windows settings.
        File associations are not portable. They exist in the registry of the computer you are using and will not move with Irfanview if you use a portable version and run it on another computer. What is more Windows 10 makes it more difficult then ever for a program to change the file associations unless it is an installation program and an Administrator has certified that the program is trusted.

I think that for a portable application you must forget about file associations and learn to use drag and drop to open your images instead of double clicking them.

Comment

Windows 10's Photos app is fundamentally broken and WILL continue to steal back file associations from IrfanView periodically. The only way to prevent this is to completely remove the Photos app:

1) Press Windows Key + Q, and in the search box, type Powershell.

2) From results, right click on Windows PowerShell and select Run as administrator option.

3) Type this command in the Powershell window and press enter: Get-AppxPackage *photos* | Remove-AppxPackage

After this run IrfanView as admin and set the associations again.

Not sure if this is effective with the portable version, but it works a treat for the full version.

Comment

Originally posted by jlick View Post
            Windows 10's Photos app is fundamentally broken and WILL continue to steal back file associations from IrfanView periodically. The only way to prevent this is to completely remove the Photos app.
            Thanks. I expect that to work until at least the next Windows update. Windows 10 is getting a bit tiresome with the way it keeps changing my default browser, and other file associations.
            Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Originally posted by jlick View Post
              Windows 10's Photos app is fundamentally broken and WILL continue to steal back file associations from IrfanView periodically. The only way to prevent this is to completely remove the Photos app:

1) Press Windows Key + Q, and in the search box, type Powershell.

2) From results, right click on Windows PowerShell and select Run as administrator option.

3) Type this command in the Powershell window and press enter: Get-AppxPackage *photos* | Remove-AppxPackage

After this run IrfanView as admin and set the associations again.

Not sure if this is effective with the portable version, but it works a treat for the full version.
              Excellent advice. Still relevant in 2022. ..."2)" was no longer needed for me though, it just ran. You can just go start -> "powershell <enter>". Oddly, I never had trouble with Windows stealing associations until a few weeks ago; they must have a new director.
              Last edited by Chipmunk; 05.02.2022, 03:50 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X